How to upgrade "Classic App" projects to the new plan

Hello Gliders,

I hope everyone is doing well! I am currently working on a project with an older Glide plan and would like to upgrade to the latest plan without the need to create an entirely new project. The challenge is that our marketing materials, including a QR code, are already in place and lead users to the existing app.

Has anyone successfully upgraded their project without starting from scratch? I would greatly appreciate any insights, tips, or best practices from the community. Specifically, if there are considerations regarding the transition process, updating configurations, or handling existing user data, your guidance would be invaluable.

Thank you in advance for sharing your expertise!

Select New App from data… all your tables including computed columns will be copied over… you’ll have to rebuild all the screens though. I think that’s the best you can do. You’ll need a New App to take advantage of the new integrations, features etc…

1 Like

Thank you @Eric_Penn

I understand that this involves rebuilding screens. The thing is my current application has a QR code associated with its existing domain, and I’m curious about how this QR code will be affected by the transition.

1. Will the current QR code, linked to the domain of the existing application, become obsolete after creating a new app?
  2. Alternatively, do you think the QR code will continue to redirect users to the updated application after the transition?

Thank you for your assistance!

1 Like

QR codes are just digital representations of text, such as a url. If the url doesn’t change, then QR code will not change. If the url is different then the QR code will be different.

It will change depending on if you use a Custom Domain or not. If you are just using the default glide domain, it’s going to change from glideapp.io to glide.page, which is different text and thus will lead to a different QR code. If you are using a custom domain and you transfer that domain to the new app, then the url should not change as the underlying text that is converted to a QR code will not change.

4 Likes

@Jeff_Hager Thanks a lot for the info! Appreciate it!

Using a custom domain is crucial for my project, and I was initially concerned about potential disruptions to the existing QR codes.

1 Like