How to iterate on a Glide app

Hello all,

So, I feel like my Glide app is currently in a “good enough” state. I want to start getting feedback on it from real users, and iterate on the product.

How am I supposed to do this in Glide? I don’t want my changes to be immediately available to users as I work on the new features/functionality.

I don’t know of any way to have a “release” on Glide - i.e. I work on some features in a staging environment, and when I am comfortable with that, I release those updates to users.

Pat

3 Likes

@Robert_Petitto curious if you’ve got any insights here as I know you’ve got more than your fair share of released applications under your belt :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Glide will soon be releasing basic versioning control. Until then, what I typically do is if I am modifying a component or reconfiguring a tab, I’ll duplicate it, make it visible to only me, and then make it visible once it’s complete and delete the original.

If you need to modify the entire app, you can always duplicate your app, make changes, and then re-publish your app under the original URL and your users will be none the wiser.

4 Likes

We are working on this over the next 4-6 weeks. You will be able to ‘pause’ automatic updates to users, and only publish when you are ready.

21 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the super fast replies.

I’m only releasing to a small subset of beta testers so this isn’t a blocker for me.

Great to hear that it is in the works @david !

1 Like

@Robert_Petitto Could you elaborate on this a bit more actually?

If you need to modify the entire app, you can always duplicate your app, make changes, and then re-publish your app under the original URL and your users will be none the wiser.

I’m not sure how to re-publish my app under the original URL.

When you share/publish your app, Glide will assign a random URL. However, you can change this to anything you like - as long as it’s unique.

So lets say (for example) your original app had the URL “random-puppy-6673.glideapp.io
Once you’re finished building the new version of your app, you can change the URL on the original to something else, and then give your new app the “random-puppy-6673” URL.

As Bob points out, the change should be transparent to your users.

3 Likes

Gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying Darren! Very much appreciated.

I think even without versioning control its quite easy and possible in Glide to work on new components, tabs, screens etc…

but the main challenge is related to testing actions, buttons or anything that updates the data because once the data is updated there is no easy way to undo the changes made especially on a live app.

do you think the new versioning control will take this into account? and do you have any advise regarding creating a testing environment in Glide.

No…all versioning is UI only. Any changes to the data affects all versions of the app. I recommend duplicating your app, make the necessary changes, then republish

1 Like