How to create a login option inside a public access app?

Hi all,
I’d like to create an app for which no login access is required. But then offer within the app the possibility for a user to perform a login and be able to modify/add some entries within the app.
I have managed this second part well in the current app by setting the login and onboarding process in it, but I have now realized that such process is too much for users only willing a “view only” access.
Are there any solutions for this?

Thanks

1 Like

Sounds like you have already had a login action tied to a button?

Can you clarify more about the “view only” part?

Hi Thinh,
the login I am referring to is the general login to the app, the one you can set in the “Settings/Privacy” tab of the interface. Currently it is set to “Public with email”, with also the option to sign in with Google.
I’d like to have it set to “Public”, but then I will lose the user-related options, such as capacity to modify/add entries and other functions I have set up.
So I’d like to know if there is any way I can recover those functionalities to selected users, also within a “public” app.

in addition: by “view only” I intend the fact that the users getting into the “public” app will only be able to browse through it.

If you have a tab in your side menu, then a user can open the side menu and sign in there on a public app. Alternatively, you can create a button with a sign in action.

Do you mean that if I create a sign in action, it will be like the “sign in” action at the start of a “public by email” app?

Thanks

Yes it’s the same. It brings up the sign in screen. Once a user is signed in, then the app functions as if they are signed in until they sign out.

ok great. I’ll trial it out.
Thanks for the suggestion

2 Likes

Also at that point make sure you construct the conditions correctly on what signed-in users can see and what “anonymous” users can see.

1 Like

Thanks all,
that was naïve of me. Effectively one can use the “login” button in the side menu, without any additional buttons. I am going for this, and it looks working fine for now (comprising the differential access rights).
This means that, effectively, one can always set the app to be “public”, but still account for potential “public with email” access, that is always possible via the side menu. Did I get the Glide strategy on this topic right?

3 Likes

Yep, I think you got it.

1 Like

Exactly what i was looking for too. Thanks a lot for the question and the help! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info.
I take the opportunity to ask about this because I am in a similar situation.

I have the free version, and it only allows 10 new users. In this case, I am adding a button with a login action, but when I do this, the button disappears. Could it be because of the limit?

Is there any manual way to allow registering more than 10 users in the free plan, even if it involves more work?

That’s because you are in the builder and already signed in. The experience is different with the published app.

No. Not without making your app completely unsecure and losing the ability to use user profiles, row owners, and to some extent user specific columns. I would not recommend it. If you need more users, then use a different plan.

2 Likes