How long does it take to learn Glide?

Hi, I don’t have any coding knowledge or experience, but I have been learning Glide myself for the past few weeks. I obtained the level 2 certification, but I still can’t develop complicated apps. Is it because I lack of coding knowledge that makes it hard to achieve? I noticed sometimes it requires to use of JSON or CSS, also the logic of developing an app is a bit confusing, especially since it comes with the computed columns.

1 Like

Practice makes perfect. Everyone is different and have different amount of time to spare for learning. Glide is probably the most intuitive low code platform to learn. Not saying that it’s simple, no. But much easier then others!
Some people recommend to get free templates and mess around with them, I personally prefer starting with watching tutorials and educational videos before making ‘hands dirty’ :hugs:.
Great way to practice is to follow an extensive tutorial that shows how to build an app or a function from scratch.
I also like checking out the forum and see how other people solve their problems.
If you don’t have a Chat GPT account yet - I highly recommend to get one because it is immensely helpful with JavaScript and CSS part.

At the end of the day this process should be enjoyable, like a hobby!

6 Likes

Yes right, thanks for your advice :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey Stephen,

I’ve never written a line of code in my life … been in tech most of my life, but not a programmer or engineer.

Like you, did the level 1 and 2 certifications and dove in. Had a bunch of missteps - headed down a path and realized a few days in I’d done something foundational that wasn’t right, and I started over (more than once).

After a few weeks of that - of finding a problem in the business and trying to solve it, or seeing if I could do something fun and unusual with AI (like let folks dictate their notes and give them prompt choices like - be nice or be tough, translate to Spanish, German or Italian, and even fun stuff like - sound like a New Yorker or a Texan). Fun challenge to learn, and fun to show others.

I’d say after about a month of that stuff I started to get my legs under me and the real turning point was getting apps in the hands of users. Seeing how they wanted to use things. What stuff had I put in that made sense, and what didn’t.

Once that happened - the learning curve was a runaway train. It got more and more fun as I learned how to figure things out. Glide is incredibly intuitive and the community is amazing. I totally fell in love with Glide - as did my users … and a day doesn’t go by that someone doesn’t ask if we can do that in ‘the app’.

There’s a few great experts that post videos on YouTube often. Bob Petitto and Marco Volpati are the ones I watch and interact with (there a many others on these threads that are totally amazing … Bob and Marco just happen to make a lot of instructional videos).

Join Marcos school - loqode, he does live coding sessions and Q&A (it’s free). I’ve learned tons watching their videos and trying to do what they do. And you can hire those guys if / when you really need a pro.

It’s been a few months now - early on I was worried … did I need to know JSON and CSS … what the heck was JSON, etc etc. The videos demystify it - and Glide does a great job of making those things easier and easier. I learned JSON and how to use the API watching videos from Bob and Marco and recently did something I didn’t think I’d ever be able to do with an APi only a few months ago.

And to the prior comment about ChatGPT - couldn’t agree more. First time I tried figuring out JSON (before Glide had the JSON template column) it kept giving me an error and I had no clue what I was looking at. After a back and forth with ChatGPT - and learning how to ask the right question, it told me what I did wrong and how to fix it. Voila, it worked.

We’ve now got a bunch of apps deployed in the business, a few of them very very complex, and it took time to build them, layer by layer. Lots of learning and lots of fun. Eventually, it’ll be a full blown, end to end ERP system built 100% for my company, all in Glide.

If you need anything - feel free to reach out. Almost everyone in the community is amazingly helpful, and I’d be happy to help directly if you wanna bounce stuff around. I’m far from the expert many of the folks on here are - but I’ve had a ton of time learning and would be happy to help and pay back the kindness so many on these boards showed me when I was in the deep end of the pool.

Happy Gliding

6 Likes

Hi Bschonbrun, appreciate a lot for your comment :slightly_smiling_face: I will try harder and check out the recommended videos. If I encounter any problems I will surely ask for help again. Glide community is really helpful and thanks again for y’all advice :pray:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.