I think we all agree that the default sharing URLs are very long and not user friendly. They look something like this:
Today I will explain how I made them reader friendly and added a call to action, so they now look like this:
Much better, isn’t it?
I had to jump through a few hoops and figure out how to do this but I think it was worth the efforts. I hope Glide will improve this feature because the way it is now is not great.
Watch this video for the tutorial:
Here the steps I took:
- Found out the long screen URLs for each screen I wanted people to share
- Created alias for a readable URL using this tool: http://infire.in/space-to-hyphen-dashes-converter
- Created a sub domain and installed a script for creating short URLs, you can buy it here for $50 (totally worth it) phpShort - URL Shortener Platform by lunatio | CodeCanyon
- Created a template with call to action and combined the base URL and the alias
- Changed the share button to data to the template
You can see this live here: https://fabxnow.glideapp.io/
If you have any questions or if you found a better way to do this or optimize this process, let me know!