How do Inline list work and how to use them?

Hello,
I’m new to Glide and started working on my first app from a template. I created a sheet with a list of items and I thought that creating a column specifying the “use” of the item would allow me to create an inline list and select that “use” to appear where I wanted it to. When I do this, all the individual options show the same “use” without changing it individually? I’m sure I’m not explaining myself correctly due to my terminology but I think if I found a sample of how inline lists work and understand them, I might be able to figure this one out.
Any information would be greatly appreciate it because I’m completely stuck at this point.
Thank you all

Where can I find samples of this and how all the components interact to make the information appear?

Can you go into more detail about what you are trying to do and what you are seeing. What is the ‘Use’ column supposed to be used for? What is it doing that you weren’t expecting? Screenshots can be extremely useful to help us see what you are seeing.

For inline list, is it possible to set some kind of condition for showing the card image border when there is an image available and to not show the border when no image is available for the row? See the area I am speaking of below.

@Denzel_TW That’s been asked a few times in the past. No, it’s not an option.

There is one alternative though. What you could do is have a column with a default image, and then create an IF column that could check if your list item has an image. If it does, then return that image url. If not, then return a default image url.

Other than that, I would probably recommend creating a Page project instead of an App project. Pages will be Glide’s focus going forward, and they will eventually phase out Apps. Pages has a Custom Collection component which acts like a container that lets you place other components within it, but it still acts like a list. The advantage is that you can apply conditions to each component, so if you have an image component in that custom collection, you can conditionally show or hide the image based on a certain value, or if an image column is empty or not. It opens up a whole new list of possibilities to make a collection/list look and function how you want.

Pages scale much better from mobile sized to desktop size and you will get a very similar experience to apps.

2 Likes

I want my list of only the “stress”, “sleep” and so on to appear under each appropriate category.

Every time I think I specify what I want it to show, it shows on all my categories instead of just the one category.

I’m I using the inline list incorrectly or can I do this a different way?
How else can I display a list? Could I have a sheet for my “stress” oils, “sleep” oil, and so on individual lists and then just list them under each category? But once I add the “inline list” it applies to all categories instead of my specified category.

Hope this makes sense and I really appreciate the reply to my question!
*Sorry, I was only allowed to insert one screenshot :blush:

@Jeff_Hager Thank you! That was very helpful info. As for using Glide Pages, is there an easy way to convert my app to pages? Or will I have to basically rebuild on pages?

@ArtzyDog do you have a separate category table?

@Denzel_TW in the dashboard you can choose “Create Page from Data’” which will preserve computed columns,but other than that, you will need to rebuild. Glide may have a better conversion process down the road, but that won’t be until late 2023 or early 2024.

1 Like

@Jeff_Hager Yes. I have a category table (spreadsheet?) and a separate one with the list of my oils. In my oil table I have a column with “type of oil”, in which I specify the specific use of the oil. This is where I’m confused because I don’t know how to populate that information on my list.

My preferred method is to create a relation column in the Category table. Set that relation up so it links the category or name (or use???) in the category table to the category (use) in the Oils table. Also make sure you select the ‘multiple’ checkbox so it will relate to all matches instead of just one. With that relation set up, then go to your inline list and change the source to use the relation instead of using the entire Oils table. This will dynamically show only the matching oils for each category.

An alternative method is to keep everything how you have it, but set a filter on the inline list so it only show the oils with a use that matches the screen value of the category currently being viewed.

Either method will work. I prefer relations, but use what works best for you. With either method, you only have to configure the screen once and it will dynamically work for all categories.

1 Like

Thank you! I will try this (this is my first app) and I’m learning from my mistakes. I will definitely let you know if I set this up correctly and if it ends up working! I’m excited to see if it works.

1 Like

@Jeff_Hager Well, I tried no did not work! I know its. on me…please be patient with me :blush:
This is my “Categories” table

This is the relation column I added

When I go back and change the inline list to the relation, everything disappears?

@Jeff_Hager What I’m trying to accomplish is exactly this but only the oils specific to this category

I’m I going about this the right way?
If someone goes under stress, they should only find the stress related oil. Just the same as if they go under the sleep category, they would only see the sleep oils.

Your relation looks good, but I see it’s not returning anything. Relations look for EXACT matches, including upper and lower case. Your category table type is all uppercase, but in your oil table it is proper case. You’ll have to change one or the other, but they have to match for a relation to work.

Thank you! Let me try this again :crazy_face:

1 Like

@Jeff_Hager OMG! I think it worked. Now I just need to absorb what just happened and complete inputing my information.
Thank you so much. I’ve been trying to figure this out for 2 days!!!

1 Like

Glad to help!

@Jeff_Hager I know it’s the weekend but I needed to ask the ethics of communicating in the glide community. For my other questions, can I send you a message like I’m doing or do I just post a completely different threat? I felt you were really helpful and knowledgable and solved my issue at a speedy rate. Please let me know. No need to reply during the weekend. I’m still exploring Glide and I’ll stay busy until Monday :slightly_smiling_face:
Thank you and have a great weekend!

If you have new questions, just post a new thread in the community. There’s always people in here that can help.

1 Like