If only the Glide support could hear you @Jeff_Hager, i’ve been trying to tell them that there is a problem else than how my app is setting up but no one hear me.
I do add a text component to my “production app”, and it display the column’s value (the value is user email as other fields in the “commande” sheet are empty since there is no new order).
How do i check if i have matching values in email and statut columns ?
I’m just saying that if you are confident that the screen is attached to the correct row, then just make sure that the columns in the row have the correct values that your filters and visibility conditions are checking.
I would still try duplicating the app just to see if something is corrupted in the original app. If that doesn’t work, then I would trying removing the visibility conditions for each component that’s not working and re-add the visibility conditions. Removing the conditions should make them show up. If that still doesn’t work, then you may have to recreate the entire tab.
UPDATE : after changing the visibility option for both form and table component, from “is not empty” to “is not TRUE” as @Jeff_Hager suggested, these two show up, but in the details array there was only shipping fees, which is a custom value, that be displayed.
However the support told me that the whole problem might come from the subtotal field in the “details” array, as stripe button needs everything to show up in order to work.
I think there’s a issue with the subtotal field that ties down everything else in the checkout part of my shopping cart.
Really hard to say without seeing the inner workings of the app. I’m guessing something still isn’t set up correctly somewhere, but I don’t know where. If there is data in the specific row that the tab’s screen is attached to, then I would think that it would show up in the basic table. I still wonder if it’s potentially not connected to the correct row.
As a side note, just be aware that the but button doesn’t work with glide computed columns. I’m not sure if you are using any computed columns for the button or if you are using basic columns, but just know that it only works with data coming from basic columns. That might not be the cause of the button not showing (I think that’s still a separate issue), but something to be aware of.
I haven’t got the chance to access the app again, but I’m thinking the tab-level filter is the cause.
Thanks @Jeff_Hager, the glide support already told me about this. I think @ThinhDinh prevent from this error when he make the sheet setup by using formula directly in GS for those columns
Welp I’m not sure this was the problem because I’m sure I didn’t set it up like this in my version. This was not obvious to me in the screenshots because both setups show up as “Email is signed-in user”.
It should be like this. Let me know if you need further help.
Yep, that will definitely make a difference.
Thank you a lot @ThinhDinh !!! and everyone else who helped me on this
My pleasure to help, have a nice day and good luck to your business!