HELP: How to append a Choice selection to a transaction

Once choices are made on a detail screen, use a template column to join everything you need into one column value.

Then use Column Values to bring your template column built from the choices into a form when you click on a form button

After you submit the form, display that form response result to the user along with a buy button. You can pass the value from the form sheet into the buy button so it shows on the App: Sales sheet.

• User makes choices and they are saved in user specific columns
  • Template column joins all choices into one column
  • Form takes template through Column Values and writes it to the sheet permanently
  • Form submission is displayed to the user and they click on Buy button to make final purchase
  • Choices that were written to the form sheet are passed through the buy button.
2 Likes

Hey Jeff,

That’s awesome! Is there any video resource that could show how this could be done, I’m having to action this! If you can video record this, you’ll do me a great favor! RESPECT!

I’m almost there! I went through the instructions that you have sent me and worked on populating everything, I’m stuck at the last part. A video here to explain where I’m stuck.

Any feedback is very much appreciated

1 Like

Why are you using a form to get Stripe to capture your items?

You need to set your Stripe product field to capture the template that Jeff suggested. I know exactly what you are trying to achieve here but it is not possible. Each selected item has to have the option to add notes/extra sauce and what not.

The only other way round this is via a vlookup of your additional items on a duplicate sheet of of your Stripe sales sheet, and emailing cells from that sheet to your customers or the food business (or keeping everything in-app). Although a much neater option which gives you the ability to populate several columns instead of cramming everything inside one cell (template), you would need to use the vlookup formula for that. I use it on one of my Stripe carts get round this limitation.

There is another more slightly super advanced option: Joined List (joinder of items and of total price), on a live duplicate of the Stripe sales sheet: But I don’t want to complicate things for you.

Don’t use a form. For each selected menu item add additional columns on your sheet (extra sauce, notes etc) and create a template. Call it “temp-MenuItem” , for example. Next, get Stripe to populate this temp into its product field. You have nothing to lose here as Stripe creates a new row for each selected item (no such thing as multiples of the same in one action). If a customer leaves “notes” or “extra sauce” blank for the item in question, again, nothing gets recorded to the sheet for that item.

Thank you

@Mohamad_Al_Sadoon I’m a little confused on how the button is writing the first menu item to the app sales sheet, even though it appears that you have the button within the details of item 40. But the problem I am seeing is that after submitting the form, you are not displaying that form submission and placing the buy button within that the details screen of that submission. The buy button is going to grab any values from the screen you are currently on. You submitted a form, but still stayed on the same screen you were on before you submitted the form, so you are not actually viewing that new record you wrote.

@Wiz.Wazeer he is using a form because stripe will not accept glide columns, like a template. It only accepts column values that have been written to the sheet. The goal here is to get all of the special instructions and choices written to the sheet in one column, so it can be easily passed through stripe and written to the app sales sheet. Unless you have experienced something different. I don’t use stripe, but any testing I’ve done and anything I’ve read indicates that stripe will only work if the fields are written to the sheet and will not work if “glide only” columns are used. I’m also trying to avoid suggesting any kind of background Google sheet formulas.

1 Like

I think you guys missed it when watching the video. Run over the video again and you will know why the form suggestion was not a very helpful one. My observation on this was based on the video.

He is basically using the “buy button” on his “menu sheet” instead of a “form” as a “save to wishlist”. His form sheet On which should be the buy button is missing, unless you are using formulas (hence the recourse to formulas) You cannot use a form to pull information and then expect it somehow automatically to find itself via a template even on the sales sheet.

On the menu sheet (being the tab on which he has the buy button ) he has a form with which he pulling multiple choice options & NOTES. After adding that information customers are being asked to press the buy button ON THE SAME TAB. It can never work. To make matters worse he is using a specific column to pull that information.

What he needs to do avoid formulas is the following

1. On the menu sheet he needs to replace the buy button with a form to pull everything to a new “save to wish list “.
  2. Create a template of item + note + multi choice
  3. Pull the save to wish list form as a tab or “next screen” and place the buy button on that tab.

Then your suggestions work. Otherwise you will need formulas.

His cart is based slightly on the glide swag cart. That only works becz you are not letting anyone add new info unless that new info already exists on the menu sheet as an item.

I’m sorry but you cannot use a form at the point of sale on the menu sheet

1 Like

Hey guys (@Wiz.Wazeer and @Jeff_Hager) thanks for your help!

I really don’t mind anyway to make this happen, formulas or whatever it takes, I just need this to be doable.

Here is the ideal flow that I want the user to take.

2 Likes

@Mohamad_Al_Sadoon, regrettably the flow you seek is not possible to achieve for the reasons mentioned above. Your best option is to either zero rate or price the items in the choice component and include them on your menu sheet as “extras”. You can then add a another buy button for when item is “extra”. Just means more rows. You will also have to say goodbye to “Notes”. Only then you will be able to maintain the flow. This NOTES is problematic, and I mean it!

If you still insist on having these as they are, then I have produced a simplified version for you. Don’t use ROW ID or User specific columns. I have wrapped the email inside the description in case some customers decide to use a family members card to pay for the order (which will I am sure have a different email address). Also don’t use the template created in the editor. Use the one I have created for you on the sheet. Stripe is not always able to read templates when ROW ID is a feature. Everything is done for you. When you apply them to your app, just open each component to see if I have attached conditions, including the buy button, and tab Features for when user is signed in user.

Only use ROW ID on the Salescopy sheet. We cannot meddle with the Stripe sales sheet. It has a mind of its own. I don’t think you will need the Salescopy sheet anyway because of the way I have wrapped everything inside the stripe sheet.

If there is a different option then go for it. There always is. This one takes @Jeff_Hager suggestions into account as well.

Unfortunately, I can’t think of an easy fix right now unless we use multiple formulas.

Alternatively, go for a pseudo cart and use PayPal as the payment gateway, but still giving your customers the option to pay with Stripe. When you have that sort of combination (paypal & stripe), there is room for tweaks.

I normally charge for this sort of thing…but since it’s a grey area with lacunas, you are hereby exempted :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!

How can I access the app to know how this has been done?

You had mentioned a way to do that using formulas? Is it always doable with formulas under the same flow?

Did i not set it to copy? Sorry. I’ll do that. I’ve just popped out. I’ll do it in the next half hour or so.

1 Like