Golf tournament, select opponent

Can a basic table have more than two columns? I’d like to have one that has five. I’m managing a golf tournament and I’d like to be able to display each golfer, their Fri Score, their Sat Score, their Sun score, their total score.

A basic table is (as the name suggests) quite limited in functionality.

For your use case, I’d probably recommend building a table using Markup/HTML/CSS and displaying it in a Rich Text component. Note that HTML/CSS aren’t officially supported by Glide, but you’re generally okay to use them.

I like to use something like HTML Table Styler ▦ CSS Generator | 𝗗𝗜𝗩𝗧𝗔𝗕𝗟𝗘.𝗖𝗢𝗠 to design the table layout, and then plug in the bits using Glide computed columns. Here’s an example of the sort of thing you can do:

9 Likes

This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Loving that :+1:

Is that a live project you’ve worked on ?

yes, it’s a project I’m currently working on. I described it in a little detail here :arrow_down:

4 Likes

In my Golf tournament app Htmlembed is used to display the digital scorecard.

2 Likes

That looks quite nice, but isn’t it kind of defeating the purpose of Glide?
What I mean is, if you’re just publishing a GSheet, then what do you need Glide for?

@Darren_Murphy I use glide to manage golf tournaments and let the player input the strokes and see results and leaderboard in real time after each hole. Strokes are the only input to the scorecard, the rest is calculated by advanced formulas.

1 Like

Okay…

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but I think you’re possibly missing an opportunity to do a lot more with your data. When you take a GSheet and present it through a Glide App in that way, you’re essentially just presenting a static view of your data. Sure, there might be sheet formulas and scripts and things working in the background that update it and sort it and so on, but it’s not interactive, and it’s not realtime (embedded sheets will only update once every 5 minutes, at best).

The whole idea with Glide is to take your GSheet data and then use Glide as a display layer, and Glide gives you all the tools to slice and dice your data and present it in different ways and make it fully interactive. When you just take the GSheet and publish and embed it, then you’re missing out on all of that.

Again, I’m not meaning to be critical, just trying to help you see that there is possibly a lot more that you could be doing with your app :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This app is interactive, htmlembed updates “on the fly” when you open with Glide Web View.

I doubt that you can do this with Glide Table and Markup/HTML/CSS!

So tapping on a player name in the embedded view will take you to that players profile page?
And tapping on the course name will lead you to the course details view?

That’s what I mean by interactive.

You might be surprised. That, and much much more :wink:

1 Like

By the way, here is a link to a demo version of my app.

Try it out by simulating a round on my home course, Åda Golf & Country Club.

All golfing Gliders are welcome to test the app!

Got the following url error message:
Sorry, we were unable to generate a preview for this web page, because the following oEmbed / OpenGraph tag could not be found: description

Paste https://adagcc.glideapp.io/ or use the qr code below!

1 Like

Thanks Ralph, I will definitely have a look :+1:

1 Like

Glide developers may also try the app!

Here is the formula for calculating PHCP.
It would be interesting to see how the scorecard could be set up in Glide Table.

Calculating course handicap in Glide is quite trivial - it’s just a simple math formula.

I think the tricky part with a Golf scoring app is structuring the data so that it doesn’t become too expensive in terms of either rows or columns. I think the ideal would be just a single row per golfer per round, with the entire scorecard contained within a single column - or perhaps two. One for the front nine and one for the back nine.

Thank you, I know that I can do math i Glide Table.
However, I still doubt that it is possible to develop a working scorecard for up to 80 players a day in Glide Table.

I think you need the “spreadsheet magic” that only Google Sheets can offer!

Just out of curiosity, what do you think would be the main things that make it impossible in Glide?

I actually started building a golf scoring app a while back, but because it’s a personal project I struggled to find time to work on it and I had to put it aside. One of these days I’ll get back to it and finish it off. Here are a few screen shots to give you an idea of how far I got with it…

Whilst there are Google Sheets in the back end, that’s only used for data storage. All data is displayed and manipulated using Glide functionality.

Separately, I have a Fantasy Golf app. This one is actively used with around 300-400 users participating every week. Again, Google Sheets are used for data storage and there is some App Script used for fetching and updating the player scores in real time. But other than that, there are zero formulas or calculations done in the Google Sheet, and everything is displayed using Glide components. Here’s a few screen shots of that one:

As well as weekly realtime leaderboards for both golfers and the fantasy pool, the app has the results of every PGA Tour event for the past 3 years, as well as a database of every golfer that’s played on the PGA Tour for the past 3 years (602 in total), along with their event by event results.

Every user has access to their entire history - which players they picked in every event in the past, and how they finished. Users can create their own personal private leaderboards, and there is a bunch of other functionality.

Once again, whilst Google Sheets is used for data storage, all of the data manipulation and presentation is done in Glide.

So yes, I think it’s certainly possible to create a golf scoring app in Glide, for as many golfers as you like - and keep all of the logic and presentation within Glide :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ok, it might be possible but there will be a hell of a lot work in comparison of using the flexibility of Google Sheets.

Looking forward to test your version when you have had time to finish it. :slightly_smiling_face: