GlideApps Don't Support Sales Tax - Help!

I believe I have searched all the documentation and community support but have found almost no mention nor examples of how to include Sales Tax in purchases. I am working an app for a restaurant to use for curbside ordering and this appears to be the final feature we are unable to implement.

Is it true that there is no good way to collect Sales Tax?

I thought that Stripe might be able to add the sales tax, but I don’t think that is currently supported and the tax would not be included in the amount shown to the user.

It seems like the best thing I might be able to do, is add the tax to each item. If that is the best we can do we will implement it because it would be almost accurate. The problem is that the total tax may round differently if it is applied to each single item instead of being applied to the sum of the items.

I’m just looking for a little guidance here on the best way to include the sales tax in pricing. I assume others have faced this challenge. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Hey Rob,
At the moment, your assumption is correct.
You have to calculate the tax per item and add it to the price, since there’s no tax calculation in Glide’s integration with Stripe.

Thanks eltintero! Just wanted to be sure I was not overlooking something!

Just seeing if there has been any progress on Glide being able to handle sales tax dynamically?

Well at least to capture the classifications to pass through to Stripe (who then have integrations with sales tax vendors like Taxjar and Avalara who do the sales tax calculations). Our platform has different sellers in different states on it, so we are not managing a “list” of products/inventory centrally.

Stripe advised me today that Glide would have to update the Glide platform to be able to capture, and they have this beta program: https://stripe.com/docs/payments/checkout/taxes which they sync with TaxJar: https://www.taxjar.com/guides/sales-tax-guide-for-stripe/#stripe-services.

Hopefully this is on your dev radar for clients who do sales.
Thanks!

I just add a column that has taxes, it is separate and listed as such. customers pay for that and the total which is a combine column. They know the difference, I know the difference, it all works out.

Thanks, unfortunately we can’t do that to ours. There’s too many permutations of good/services with the different state and city taxes and we don’t mange the inventory. It’s dynamic. But if at least there was a way to pass through the categorization that the sellers can self-select, that would assist.

What about categorizing the items and creating a if then else tax column that applies taxes based on the category they fall under

1 Like