Glide pages: Sort data. Best experience

Ok, thank you. That’s what I thought about.

Hi, Darren.
I do some experiments with search and try to search like users do. For example:
record electric guitar
male singer for rap song

As I understand an item in my table should contain exactly that combination of words. Only in this case we will find an item? May be there is some workaround to search like search engines do?

I don’t think you’re going to be able to get search engine type behaviour without an awful lot of complexity.

What you could do is use a split text column to split the search term into multiple words, and then a series of single value columns to pick each word from the split text array. And then compare each word individually. But you’d have to set an upper limit on the number of search terms, and you’d be adding quite a few extra columns. And I’m not sure how well it would work. You might find that it’s not worth the effort.

2 Likes

There was a long discussion about building basic search functionality, which eventually led to some javascript or external code to handle it with some google like functionality to handle AND/OR situations in the search. Could probably be done with some values passed into a javascript column but still gets complicated and all depends on what kind of functionality you want from a search.

3 Likes

Yeap. I think this is not a solution.

What if we use Glide API to make google like search? Is it possible?

Can you explain more about your idea here? Glide API currently supports adding rows, setting column values and deleting rows, for your information.

Thank you for information. I will discuss ideas with my team and tell you what we’ll come to.

One possible thought would be to create a template column that joins all the columns that you want to search into one column. Then use a split text column to split all the words using space as a delimiter. That will give you an array of all searchable words in a row.

Then you could use a text entry component to enter your search words. Then use a similar split text column to split the search words into an array.

Then you could create a relation linking the search array to the words array in your other tables. Any table rows that have a match should show up in the relation and then you can display the results in an inline list sourced from the relation.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.