Glide app onboarding advice, in my not-so-humble opinion

(Long rant deleted after re-reading…)

My advice would be to use a landing page service on your root domain, and put your Glide app on a subdomain, so that if I click to go there I’m already sold and expecting to sign-up. It just takes a little knowledge of how to add/delete DNS records.

(EDIT: This links below are not for a real app, I gave them as an example :slight_smile: )
landing page → mycoolservice.com
app → app.mycoolservice.com

Carrd is an excellent landing page builder that I’ve used on a few projects. (no affiliation)

4 Likes

Great advice. The automatic page we generate for you is not intended to be a “landing page” for your app—it is only intended to be your app.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m a cynical person when I go to someone’s app, so there’s no way I’m giving up my email right away. Even getting a peek inside isn’t enough, I need more info! If I’m giving up my email I just assume I’m added to some mailing list. These days inbox 0 is just a dream.

For stuff like that, I always use a temp emails, like mailinator to test apps.

3 Likes

Completely agree! Here is an example of my platform that uses Carrd as a landing page:

landing page → www.coffeechat.co
Glide app → app.coffeechat.co

7 Likes

That’s exactly what I was talking about, nicely done @Chris_S ! It’s such a nicer experience as I can get lots of info about your service without feeling I have to immediately give up my privacy.

Hello,
Quick question (I’m new at this) :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
So I can create my landing page, which gives a quick overview of my app and all the information they will find there. Somewhere within the landing page, I’ll have a link to my app (incase they do decide to go ahead and sign up for it?) I’m I grasping this concept correctly?
I’m just learning…

Yes, that’s the right way to go.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch!

Hey Chris, love your app great job on the design!

I’m hoping to achieve similar functions like yours here (where a user need to sign in to use any functions).

How do you differentiate the button visibility/conditions for sign-in and sign-out users? Thanks.

cc @ThinhDinh (feel like you’d know the solution too, haha)

2 Likes

User email is signed in email or user email is not sign in email

Thanks Joe, followed your advice, but should I set this as an Action condition or button visibility?

Here’s my current setup. For every button, I have 2 copies. 1 is the actual action for Signed-in user, and another 1 is a duplicate copy with “Sign-in Action”. Depend on whether a user is signed-in or not, they see different button essentially.

It’s a lot of work for every button, do you know a better way to approach this?

If you want the button to be visible to users who are not signed in. Then you can use custom action conditions. You should be able to use the same button whether a user is signed in or not.

2 Likes

I think the right condition should be:

• Signed-in user’s email is not empty => Signed-in state
  • Signed-in user’s email is empty => Not signed-in state
1 Like

Perfect, I knew there’s a way to do this. Thanks @Jeff_Hager and @ThinhDinh !

1 Like

This is a great little tool I’ve squirrelled away for future use!

Thanks