Format duration in minutes as hh:mm

This is a classic example of where a single experimental code column can save you a bunch of Glide computed columns.

My use case:

I have a column where the value in each row represents a duration in minutes, and I need to format that for display as hh:mm. So, for example…

• 2914 => 48:34
  • 804 => 13:24
  • 63 => 01:03
  • 5 => 00:05
  • 0 => blank

As far as I could tell, none of the plugin columns will handle this. But it looks easy, right?
Well, the best I could do with Glide computed columns was 6 (!!) columns :crazy_face:
If anyone - @Jeff_Hager - can improve on that, please let me know. It went like this:

• Column 1: Math column to get the number of whole hours. Floor(total/60)
  • Column 2: If-then-else column to zero pad the hours…
    – If hours < 10 then 0, else blank
  • Column 3: Math column to get the remaining minutes. Mod(total,60)
  • Column 4: If-then-else column to zero pad the minutes…
    – If mins < 10 then 0, else blank
  • Column 5: Template column to stitch them together… {hh-padding}{hh}:{min-padding}{min}
  • Column 6: If-then-else column to deal with the case where the total minutes is zero or empty…
    – If total is empty, then empty
    – If total equals 0, then empty
    – Else template column

Which looked like:

If it only had to be done once, then it’s not so bad. But for my use case I had to do this about 20 times :scream: After the 3rd or 4th time, I’d had enough. So decided to swap those 6 columns out for a single experimental code column…

https://mcdarren.github.io/glide-mins-to-hhmm

window.function = function (total) {
  if (total.value === undefined) return undefined;
  if (total.value === 0) return undefined;
  var hours = Math.floor(total.value/60);
  var mins = total.value % 60;
  return hours.toString().padStart(2, '0') + ":" + mins.toString().padStart(2, '0');
}

Which results in:

So that’s 5x20=100 computed columns saved with just a few lines of javascript :partying_face:

13 Likes

This had been my previous attempt from a while back. Definitely not elegant by any means. Your javascript solution makes way more sense.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

What an elegant example that shows how a few lines of code can achieve more than no-code. Or maybe the same, but more efficiently.

I still prefer your 6-column no-code solution, simply because it is accessible to me, whereas there is no way I would have been able to reproduce your code. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

yeah, I get that.
I’m the same - I always prefer to get things done with standard computed columns where ever I can.
But creating these same 6 columns over and over and over again was driving me absolute bonkers :crazy_face:

I guess the nice thing about the Experimental Code column is that it becomes an extra bow for your arrow that you can pull out and use when you need it :wink:

2 Likes

I agree… Nocode is my preferred solution but sometimes a singular hyperformula or extract matching text plug-in column is more efficient.

I agree, in some cases, it’s just more efficient. I have even created a macOS shortcut to access my Github URLs and quickly copy them to the clipboard for the experimental column. I love it.

1 Like

oooh, please share? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/369ace3b767942a0881c2790855cf928

Let me know if you can access this link.

You can substitute your user name in place of mine (thinhdinhlca) and it should work well. I use it to directly grab my Pages URL instead of having to go to the specific repo to get the URL.

4 Likes