English Dictionary with 163,819 rows!

This is awesome! Well done @Uzo !

Some UX feedback: I love the touch of the loading hour glass gif while it’s searching/loading. But at first it wasn’t clear that it was searching/loading because the icon was so small and the old results were still on the page. I thought it wasn’t working at first. If this is technically feasible, I think it can feel more responsive if you clear the list of results and replace it with a larger hour glass gif while it’s loading/searching.

Otherwise-- incredible feat squeezing that much content into a free app!

2 Likes

tnx… this App just past 1000 free edits… lol
so it might not work correctly for few days… until it will reset… (free App)

1 Like

@Uzo do you know if there is a max number of rows that a single tab of GSHeet can have?

I understand a GSheet workbook is limited to 5M cells.

How did you do the “top” button

I believe it’s toggling between two different tabs with visibility conditions.

There is no actual limit of rows in gs… 5 mil cell is a limit… so you can have 5 mil rows if you have just 1 column…
The top button is a manipulator between 2 clone lists visibility

1 Like

Care to share that workflow or formula? would love to try it as I am building a Sustainability Dictionary… thank you

I’m just trying to figure out what to do in sheets to handle the query so that the rows are counted less… right now it is filling up my app…

You need to filter your database and divide results by maximum 400 rows… in my app i did by 100 for faster loading… then create a button to load next 100 results, so you need 3 Google sheets for this to work.

2 Likes

1000 views … thank you!

some new functionality was added

3 Likes

Hi,

very nice app; can you tell me (us) how and where you put the loading hour glass and how to activate it?

Wim

1 Like

You put it as an avatar, and activate with if else column

1 Like

Thanks, I could add an avatar (one image with avatar, another without).

I hope you understand what I mean.
In my app I’m using 2 GS, one with ± 2000 lines (= static data) and another one with one sheet that has the search-string (input via Glide App). With filter/importrange, the results are copied to a sheet that is read by Glide.

So far so good and when a user hits my “search” button, I changed a parameter in my GS from 0 to 1 to have Glide (visibility of component) switching between image with and without avatar.

But I can’t figure out to let GS or Glide know the filtering had ended (to set my parameter back from 0 to 1)
Any suggestion?

I’m using gs formula to copy keywords to another column and in glide if else column to check if these two are the same… this way i know when search is finished

I redesigned my English Dictionary App LOL.
Now you can have unlimited editable rows in the Free Glide App, that you can view, edit, and add new rows… also improved loading speed by 2-5 seconds, choosing pages, searching inside pages, improving back to top button, and no Glide updates used!

No row limit
No updates limit

2 Likes

Speed improvement… it goes under 3 seconds now… I still do not see Glide edits… so… this is the Ultimate rows extender LOL, I tested multiple users searching the same key at the same time… no problems!

I made a mini version of the Dictionary App… just to extend my free rows and edits…

1 Like

New improved version!!!

• much faster
  • pages can be entered manually ( to avoid scrolling hundreds of them)
  • instant page switching
  • improved mobile speed
  • unlimited rows
  • unlimited Glide updates
  • it learns your search, to get your results faster

2 Likes

@Uzo

1 Like

Thank you for your Twit!
I will post the Pages version soon… :grinning:

since my App got the honor of the App of the Week!..(by no other than Glide itself :star_struck:)
here is a sneak peek of my biggest take on Glide Pages…

164 thousand rows x 11 columns of data… over 80 million characters… all of that under half of the second (up to 3-5 sec for the initial call)

I literally coded an OS for Glide and Google Sheets… redid all mapping and coding from the English Dictionary App…
The results are so impressive!!!

Thank you Glide for making my App the App of the week… I got hundreds of hits!!! my counter is just going crazy … LOL (it was the first one???)

Stay tuned for the finished Glide Page “Unlimited Data Source”.

and this is the end of my Google Sheet… lol… I have to generate all of that data… and now is all accessible… editable… from Glide Page… UNDER 0.5 sec!!!