Duplicating App

When duplicating an app, I have two options as to what to do with the sheet.

1. Keep
  2. Copy

When I select copy, the app keeps the same sheet attached to the app without swapping to the copied sheet. Is this normal? if it is it could be risky if some one doesn’t pay close attention.

I have to then go into the app settings and then relink the copied sheet to the copied app. hopefully we can get more of a streamlined one action approach instead of this.

1 Like

This should not be happening. When I press duplicate you get a pop up screen asking:

1. Keep the same sheet
  2. Copy the sheet

If your sheet is not being copied when you select 2 but are instead ending up with 1 above, please contact support team.

1 Like

Yes, that’s normal.
Whichever option you choose, the original app will remain attached to the original sheet.

I think the way to approach this is to first think about what you plan to do with both the original and the duplicate. My approach:

• If I’m duplicating the app as a backup, I’ll usually keep the same sheet. This is only good for short term backups, because as soon as you start making changes in the Google Sheet the backup may become dysfunctional. For longer term backups, it’s probably better to also copy the sheet.

• If I’m duplicating the app because I want to use it as a template or starting point for a new app, then I’ll always also duplicate the sheet.

3 Likes

Okay maybe I didn’t understand the question. I thought reference was to new copied app. :+1::+1:

Thanks, for both your responses, ill investigate further.

Closing due to inactivity. This topic will be deleted in a few weeks if there are no more comments.