Duplicate UUID?

I was exporting the data into MySQL and I use the UUID is my unique Identifier. However, I ended up with 4 less rows in MySQL and upon investigation I found that there are 3 instances of the same UUID.

All created at the same time, the ROWID is different and I seem to have different data in the ROWS.

Should I be using the ROWID as my unique row identifier ?

What is the purpose of UUID if it cannot be guaranteed to be unique ?
How did is it possible to have 3 rows created at the exact same time, is that a bug ?

1 Like

I wonder if time might be part of the seed value for the UUID. If the the rows were created at the exact same time, maybe they received the same seed and generated the same ID. I’m guessing that there are several other factors, such as device ID and probably other things that factor into generating the UUID, but time might play a big part of it’s coming from the same device.

RowID would probably be safer in this case, since the row number or underlying row identifier is most likely unique to the specific row.

2 Likes

What does that timestamp in the 2nd column represent?
Is that the creation time? All 3 timestamps are identical, so that’s a little suspicious.
Also, at what stage is the UUID generated? Is it generated as part of the Add Row action, or is it pre-generated and then used some time later?

1 Like

You probably right on the time being used as seed, but generally adding salt is standard practice, but even if that is the case it sounds like a bug.

This would have required the user to press the submit button 3 times, however the app is designed that once you submit it goes back, not giving the user the opportunity to submit multiple times.

I also put a post up the other day where a row disappeared.

1 Like
  1. creation time, using the create date/time column widget

2. Yes.

3. Part of the standard Add function on a standard form
    that you get when hitting the plus icon on a list

No custom actions.

All the initial data that was inserted in the form was duplicated, but then the users were able to go into each ticket and add different data at different times.

That sounds like a bug to me, so I think I’d be reporting it to Glide.
Challenge is, they will want to know how to replicate it - and it sounds like it’s a one off?
Might be a tough one to figure out. But I’d still be reporting it nonetheless.

1 Like

We have about about 4000 records being created per month, I had a similar issue last month but didn’t investigate it. I have JAN deleted the data from Glide but I do have an excel export.

Are you saying you will escalate it with the team or you suggesting I do it ?

Thanks

No, I was suggesting that you do it. Glide Support will need details of your app. Support link, etc

Cool. Thanks I will do it now.

Are you opening the form with a floating button by chance?

Hi Eric,

No its not a floating button.

Closing due to inactivity. This topic will be deleted in a few weeks if there are no more comments.