Cross app pasting...?

Is it possible to cross-app copy/paste?

1 Like

Components?
Have you tried it?
I recall that somebody mentioned soon after the component copy/paste feature was released that you could copy/paste from one app to another. I’d never tried it myself, but I tried just now and it appears that you cannot.
In any case, I’m not sure how useful this would be. Unless your apps are almost identical, all you’d be doing is pasting broken components.

1 Like

You can’t copy components between apps.

And even within an app, you can only meaningfully copy components with actions when the Tab or screen uses the same Source table.

2 Likes

Thanks, guys. Manual duplication it is.

Yeah, I can recall the same thing, it works back then but I think it was unintended. They fixed it.

1 Like

Actually you can, but you loose the reference inside

That’s right - you have a button…. But it has no action :slight_smile: not entirely useless, to be fair :slight_smile:

1 Like

As I don’t have a pro app (to control publishing time), it is useful and time saving for me to copy-paste thoroughly tested components (even tabs) from my test app to production app.
Today, I have to do the job twice, and most of the time, the result is not exactly the same or successful (CSS Rich Text).
So instead of “5 minutes” it takes 20 minutes or more, even when the CSS was fully tested and working… + tests on mobiles.
So no, it’s not a useless detail.
And by principle, modular items are smarter to maintain than “islanders-standalone” parts.

Good point :slight_smile:

I do copy tap and screen components individually, or I copy all of them and delete the ones I do not need. Things like CSS are always useful, of course. And then I just have to do a screenshot of the complex compound Actions I had in the copy-from screen, including screenshots of the specific action elements (like Webhook parameters), and then manually fiddle to get it working.

This still saves time compared to building things from scratch… but it would be nice to have a better way of doing things :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thks, Mark.
I used to work with very modular low code environment, where sharing resources in one single place and get it updated as wished is commonplace.
And a “template logic” where you can inherit and propagate any updates you want from a master to the target apps.
And see where the shared copy are to have a inventory for overall maintenance consistency (by each crucial release, for ex). And anticipate better in cas of known issues.
That also allows developers to only propagate code/UI, to accelerate updates only on what was actually changed at component/column level, and not the entire app.
And you just separate the dev app from the production app. That’s just basic safety net for user’s serenity.
Thus less unwanted and improductive troubleshooting time and stress for all.

I see you used to develop with Domino :slight_smile:

I built my first technology company, Imaginatik, using Lotus Notes (then Domino) as my platform. It was amazing technology, especially back then, and to some extent even today.

Glide is the closest thing I have found to a business-person’s tech. Ideas become mobile+desktop reality really fast. Even the complex things I am working on for my Covessa telemedicine project are super-speedy in comparison to other dev environments.

There is a lot Glide could learn from that Notes/Domino world. I especially liked their apps having design templates that could be refreshed by a master template. This would be extremely useful for me in the coming month.

Great to have you in the community! M

1 Like

Likewise, Mark. So you know how I feel.

Still pondering if when how I’ll come back with Low Code HCL Domino, since the philosophy seems to have found back its sources. I still have wonderful ex-workmates(Lotis in French, meaning the lucky ones in a way) there. And those who stayed with “Big Blue”.
Domino’s outstanding security system and app dev user-oriented modularity + Glide exquisite Design for mobiles = Wow.

1 Like