Cookie Consent

Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 9.34.10 PM

Is this new or did I never notice it before? Located in App Settings under Privacy.

2 Likes

It’s been there for a few months now but it’s definitely an untalked about feature.

Interesting! Didn’t see it listed in their updates haha.

I had not noticed this either! I have just added this to my app environment. Thanks for noticing and sharing, @Joe_Gabriele :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure that it’s been only in staging for the past few months. I know I’ve looked for it a few times when others have asked about cookies in the past, to see if it was released yet. Must have just been moved to Production.

3 Likes

That’s very plausible. It would be strange for me to have missed it for so long.

3 Likes

Ohh nice one, will look at this next week.

I noticed just yesterday Saturday. I’m not sure what an “authentication” cookie is, I need to look it up.

If GDPR applies to the app – users located in the EU – then asking for consent would probably be a recommended practice? I’m in the EU, I’m setting to “Ask user consent” :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m guessing it’sa cookies to keep them logged in after they exit the app, which then expires after a certain amount of time.

3 Likes

I believe that’s correct. My understanding is that the Glide authentication cookie keeps you logged in indefinitely. Refusing to accept that cookie would (presumably) mean that the user would need to re-authenticate every time they open the app.

4 Likes

And GDPR says if you have European users you must ask for consent correct?

1 Like

I’m no expert on GDPR, but yes, I believe so.

There are quite a few threads in the forum on GDPR, it was a big topic last summer. @Krivo might chip in, he’s always seemed to be quite aware of our obligations as developers.

I should know GDPR and yet I always forget the details (and the devil might be in the details? :sweat_smile: ) So I remind myself that the basic premise of GDPR is about respecting the user. Surely if I keep in mind “respect the user” when I build, everyone will be happy?

1 Like

The ‘authentication cookie’ merely keeps you signed in. Our view is that consent for this cookie is not required under GDPR, but one of our EU Enterprise customers disagreed, so we created the option.

6 Likes