Changing category names

Hi! It’s been a while since I’ve posted and my app has been working well thanks to the many Glide experts in this forum!

I had a question about some future things I’d like to build on to my app. Suppose a user creates a category (red, blue, green…), then multiple items with that category name. If the user wants to change the name of the category (red to dark red), Glide won’t update the records with the new name would it? Is there a way to accomplish it?

The better way to handle it is to have a category ID (or RowID) in the Category table. Instead of writing the category name to the Items table, you wrote the category ID. Then you would use a relation/lookup to retrieve the category name into the Items table.

With a setup like this, you can change the category name, but since the ID never changes, the relation/lookup in the Items table will still work and retrieve the new category name.

It’s not about updating all of the related child records. It’s about updating only the parent record without breaking the connection between parent and child records.

5 Likes

Awesome! That worked beautifully! Thank you so much :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.