Call for Templates: Group Scheduling/Availability

Dates! Working with dates is the hardest thing. I started to dabble with this project, but we’ll see how far I pursue it. I have an idea for users to set general availability (not specific dates), but then have the ability to show any people that are available for booking on a specific date based on rules. I think the idea might be good as far as row efficiency, but I’m starting to run into several columns just for simple but multiple repeated if statements. The ability to do mixed AND/OR conditions in IF/THEN columns would also help.

…and…ahem…conditional relations. :wink:

5 Likes

Good words Robert. I had exactly that issue yesterday - Trying to use a Lookup within an If-Then column. I had to do the same as you as a workaround.

Really nice! Is the previous screen visibility issue fixed for forms, or are you using relations to hide earlier times in the endtime field? Just curious!

Not sure if it’s helpful or not, but in my app, I have a NOW() and I check if any of the unavailable times are within NOW(). This is geared more towards a real-time app where you want to know if someone is available as you’re looking at the app, as opposed to wanting to book them for future availabilities.

1 Like

Those choice components took the longest to build. The choice components are running off a user specific relation that’s filtered based on whether the times have already been assigned.

1 Like

Makes sense. Really wish the screen filtering conditions worked for forms — for this very reason. Could, theoretically, say filter EndTime where time is greater than the Start Time chosen. No extra columns, quick and easy to configure.

That’s what I did…but I’m not in a form.

1 Like

Does the filtering not work in a form?

It doesn’t—identical screen filtering results in an empty choice component.

Hey @david,

Also really need the ability to multi sort (eg. Sort by Date, THEN Sort by Time).

Have to do this in Sheets to get what I need:
={"Sort";ArrayFormula(if(len(A2:A),VALUE(left(C2:C,10))&text(D2:D,"00"),""))}

2 Likes

:partying_face: Submitted!

@david

5 Likes

Any caveats? Like, is there special setup required in the sheet? Please add notes in the app if needed! Will review now.

@ThinhDinh Update! This seems to be working with the new “includes” filters, but still not quite there for Dates and Times.

1 Like

Hm. I’ll add to the template. The Sheet is a beast, unfortunately.

Fortunately, there isn’t much set up that needs to happen in the sheet except for updating the Calendar dates (stinks that it uses up 365 rows per year, but oh well), the available “Roles” for employees.

Last caveat is that, at least for v1, availability is in hour-long durations.

Is the reason a Date component can’t be used for the Date field (so that the 365 choices aren’t necessary) purely due to the regional formatting issues that have been previously identified? That’s the main reason I’ve started defining dates manually in the sheet versus using the Date field, but I’m curious if you’re doing it for other reasons beyond that issue.

Hey all,

Want better date formatting?

Direct link to vote for this feature

5 Likes

Our Availability

Available now in the Template Store :wink:
https://www.glideapps.com/templates/bEdqKhUDsZtgTMmMZqHz-template

4 Likes

Mine is done too as promised @david. Just finishing the video presentation. Here is a preview.

4 parts:

1. Group Schedule Tab - all staff members have access here and can see who has been selected.
  2. Staff Hub - employees add their availability by date and the 4 traditional shifts (morning/afternoon/evening/night) with start and end times. They can add as many shifts they like say for the morning where they maybe free during certain intervals.
  3. Admin - controls everything
  4. Staff availability hub - the calendar is based on a fortnightly staff shift rota. It could be increased to any period. The days are auto-added

Filtering/sorting

By shifts - which open dates by morning, afternoon, evening and night.
By date (no formulas used - done inside the editor)
By time ( no formulas used - done inside the editor)
Shorlisting - admin shortlists all those they need, and then posts all selected ones to the GSH All staff members can see if they have been selected or not. They all also receive confirmation to their profile inbox.
Any employees selected are automatically filtered out from the availability list.

Many many more features

Thank you

8 Likes

Incredible!

1 Like

Thank you @david @Jeff_Hager

1 Like