Avoiding slow app due to users image uploads

How are you avoiding a slow app due to large images that the user uploads?

I believe that a lot of people would just use the phone camera to capture the images and these images can get quite big.

I would like to keep the app responding fast.

Do you encourage people to size down the image before uploading?

Any thoughts?

1 Like

We optimize all images before they are downloaded, you don’t have to worry about it.

1 Like

@david that only applies to images uploaded by the upload functionality in glide, right?

If we let people upload images by a google form and store the images in google drive would you also compress the images when loaded from google drive? I would think not as I have tried to have large images in google drive and the app became very slow

2 Likes

I’m interested in this too, I’m interested in the space that uploaded pictures occupy in the storage, I just checked and there is no compression, which I’d like to have, or at least decide if to have it or not

1 Like

You could upload to cloudinary but the upload process is a bit cumbersome

Yes, I just checked your project, very well done indeed but very time comsuming.

I wanted in fact ask you if the pictures urls you get from cloudinary can be saved in google sheets and used in the glide app

@MaxB I use the cloudinary url and store them in google sheet.

I expect you want the user to upload images through the image picker, right ?

If you yourself just wants a place to store images then you can just upload all of them to cloudinary and then decide how the compression should be when it is used by your glide app

Yes, the user uploads its own pictures, which are too heavy for load times and storage space since glide doens’t compress them

1 Like