Auto update rant

Hello,

The fact that the app is being auto updated is causing me BIG issues. Aside for the fact that it’s super frustrating that I have no control over when a new version of the app is “released”, there for often I have unfinished feature available to the public, which is embarrassing at the very least, and looks amateurish and silly. In addition to that, having created an app that’s media rich, here are a few more unwanted consequences of this:

1. The user reads an article (I have over 400 articles), and all of a sudden, in the middle of reading, the app takes them to the home screen because it’s being updated, they lose the article and now go figure how to find it again, they’ll probably just go and do something else. Not a great user experience.

2. The user watches a video (I have around 450 videos) and all of a sudden, in the middle of watching the video, they are taken to the home screen, yup, because the app is being updated again without any control on my side.

And so on and so forth. It seems that whatever they do, they are interrupted by an erratic update behavior that I personally could not figure out its cycle, if it has any. Sometimes hours go by before the next update, and sometimes it’s immediate.

All I am asking for is some measure of control over this, so that my users won’t be interrupted while they use the app and so that I don’t look like a complete ass with unfinished features being public.

Please consider adding a switch on/off for auto update, this is absolutely essential for the success of all of us.

Thank you!

@david, @Jeff_Hager

Would love your input @Deena, @Wiz.Wazeer, @Robert_Petitto, @ThinhDinh and anyone else who encountered these issues.

4 Likes

From what I understand, it’s in the works.

2 Likes

Thank goodness. Please make it a priority!!! :woozy_face: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I ask on almost a weekly basis! It’s my understanding that this is imminent, but I would guess that the security center and the new “role based security” that we read about yesterday took priority…hopefully the publishing control is coming very, very, very, soon. I agree with you because it’s an impossible situation (the constant refreshing) actually even when I’m not working in the app. :upside_down_face: I rant too. I’m glad you’re part of the club so I’m not as lonely. :grin:

I also DEMO my app daily and it refreshes while I’m on zoom doing the demo with prospective customers. EXTREMELY embarrassing. :pensive: And no, I don’t want to create a complicated workaround. And also I don’t understand why it refreshes when I’m not working in the editor (no one is)…so there’s my rant - again. :innocent:

2 Likes

What I like to do is set tab/component visibility to only show when email is my email address. Then, when it’s ready to reparase, I remove the condition.

2 Likes

Ha! Yes, can totally relate to your issues. I am lucky that my app is not yet public, only 5 beta testers, but it will be in about a week!

2 Likes

That doesn’t work if you’re changing/working on existing tabs. It’s fine for new tabs and I do it. I’m not usually a judgy person, but I personally think it’s unacceptable that we don’t have proper publishing control yet.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s an idea but it’s not a solution. In all my years of working with software and developing at least 20 of them, it was never even heard of to release a new version without any control over it. I don’t want my users to not see some tabs because I am working on it, because then I’ll get people calling me up asking me where’s that thing they saw last week, how come they don’t see it anymore :woozy_face:

1 Like

Same. That’s exactly why I find it unacceptable, I mean no disrespect to the Glide team because I know they have unimaginable amounts of conflicting priorities but this one is simply fundamental.

1 Like

Just imagine how it was when I started using Glide a little over a year and a half ago. There wasn’t a fraction of the features we have now and everything had to be done in the google sheets (there was no such thing as a data editor or Glide columns). It was a pretty basic tool to make pretty basic apps. I think they’ve made considerable progress with a small team. Almost half of their existence has been during Covid when you really think about it.

It’s kind of fun to look at these old “New Feature” posts again. Major improvements back then seem to be trivial now. Happy 2 years Glide!

5 Likes

Thank you @Jeff_Hager ! it’s obvious Glide team is moving FAST and does a great job! All we want is that this particular feature moved to the top of the list :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :star_struck: :star_struck:

1 Like

@SuperMerabh

Probably as silly question - I assume you have voted for this?

2 Likes

Not yet!!! What is the URL? :grin:

1 Like

@SuperMerabh here you go :slight_smile:

https://bit.ly/36m9TSx

This link was copied from within the features request app.

3 Likes

Done and done!

1 Like