Asking for advice/tips or tricks, or suggestions

Hi community members,
Sorry, here I am again with a question.
I am looking for some advice/tips, or suggestions, or maybe you can help me get my thoughts clear.
I am not using Glide apps that often, so every time I need to learn things again, but I am okay with it.
At this moment, I am using the free plan. For some time now.
To get a paid plan, is too costly for me, so I hope I can stay on the free plan.
My other hobby is building plastic scale models.
For this, some time ago, I created a very simple app for my mobile device.
With this I can keep track of the models that I have built, or are building, or what I have in my inventory. I also put some other details in it.
When I got the model, when I started to build it, and when it was finished.
I also have a website where I tell more about all of this and also show some images from during the building process.
For this website, I am using WordPress. In this, I have the plugin “portfolio”
I use this to show all the models that I have and what their status is.
This plugin is actually meant for other projects, so the text and other things are not really suited for scale models.
Right now I am looking for another plugin or something else for my models.
It would be nice, if maybe I could create something with Glide App and get it embedded in my website. And at the same time, I have some app on my mobile device.
If I change something on my website, it also will be done in the mobile app, and the other way around.

Is what I want or would like to do possible?
Can it be done with my free plan?
Or do you have any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance for all your replies, help, suggestions, and time. :slight_smile:

You could just make a glide app that is your website instead of using wordpress. Then you can use that same app on your desktop or mobile device.

3 Likes

That is an option.
But that would be a lot of work.
I have to recreate the whole site.
There are already a lot of posts on it, so it would take a lot of time.
That’s why I was hoping that maybe there is a way or possibility to embed something. :slight_smile:

You can embed a Glide app, but it requires at least a business plan and contact with Glide support to have them enable the feature for you.

The other alternative, depending on your data source, is to somehow integrate just the data into you website using API’s or Make for example.

2 Likes

Thanks
I was afraid of that.
At least I have some idea now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe a dumb/stupid question.
I have not used or tried it before.
But if I create a web app, and I select the mobile device screen, do these work separately?
I mean, if I create a web app and select the mobile device screen, can I create different layouts, or do things get mixed up?
I hope my question is clear and you understand what I mean. :slight_smile:

Selecting mobile in the builder just means that you are previewing as if it was on a mobile device. Glide apps dynamically adapt to the screen size. You can switch the preview back and forth between mobile and desktop, but that’s just to see how it looks in the builder. It’s not a separate layout that you can design. It’s all one layout that adapts to the screen size. Ultimately it’s the size of the user’s screen that will determine if it’s a mobile or desktop view.

3 Likes

As Jeff already suggested, iFrame embedding, which is the ability to embed a Glide app inside an iFrame on another website is possible on business and entreprise plans, so this would not be an option for you.

My recommendation would be to stick to Wordpress. You’ve put in the time and effort in Wordpress, your website is live and serves you well I assume. If there is no good reason to change your setup, then I wouldn’t change it.

Glide is great to build with, it’s fun and challenging to set up integrations and see a digital product come to life, and importantly applications built with Glide can have a strong business impact in the workplace. For a hobby app for a personal project, I think it’s worth keeping things simple however.

1 Like