Are there any alternative push notifications?

Hi Gliders,
To start, I am using the Glide Apps free plan.
For our church, (where I am a volunteer) I am building an app where church members can submit prayer requests. (For now)
The idea is, that later we will build out the app further but for now, we start with prayer requests first.
We would like to have some kind of notification system in it for when a new user has registered, when there is a new prayer request submitted, or when a prayer was answered.
I know that with Glide Apps it is not possible to use push notifications.
But are there other ways to get some kind of push notification working?
For now, these notifications are only meant for one or two people and not everyone that is registered.
Because it is for our church and everyone is an unpaid volunteer, there is hardly any budget.
That is also the reason why for now, we are using the free plan.
It would be nice if the push notification alternative is free or very cheap.
I know that it would have limitations but maybe we could work around them.
I think it should be possible with email notifications, but I am not sure if there is any limitation on this. Push notifications would be nicer.
I hope some of you could share your thoughts or experience with me.
I know that one time I had read something about some alternative or something like an app that could act like a push notification, but I am not able to find that post anymore.

Many thanks in advance for all your tips and trick. :slight_smile:

You can do email or text notifications. There’s no push notifications with Glide.

5 Likes

Hi hi

Just wondering if this works on Glideapp?

https://pushalert.co/mobile-push-notifications

We can use third-party services which can send email, text, or WhatsApp notifications to the respective user. Feel free to reach out in case of any questions.

@Sumer_Bhadra9, Thanks. Do you have a link for more information?

1. For Email, we can have webhooks that can be triggered with a click.
  2. For Text, we can use Twilio.
    (SMS Pricing in United States for Text Messaging | Twilio)
  3. For WhatsApp, we use Message Auto Sender.
    (Ultimate Marketing | Bulk sender tool | Business | Software | Bulk Mobile Promotion Campaign|Connect with API | Message Auto Sender)

Hello @eltintero, All,

Thanks for the tutorial, If I may suggest an alternative to enable sending native push notifications to specific devices with Glide apps. (It’s in beta)

Here is what is needed:

1. Onesignal account: Android and iOS platforms must be setup to obtain related ‘APP IDs’ - A short tutorial is available on: nativator.io/documentation

2. Convert Glide app into a native mobile app with Nativator.io: the Onesignal is configured by default so your App IDs will be integrated to be able to send and receive push notifications.

3. Zapier account: To create a Glide app <> Onesignal zap (send an advanced push notification)

So far so good! you are ready to setup your glide apps notification. Please note this is a beta workflow, as it is still under test with and by Nativator.

What’s next?

In order to target a specific device, we need to get a ‘playerid’ in other words the user’s id number that will be used to send a push to him or her only. (If you want to send to all devices pls skip this part, sending to all devices is easy and straight forward and does not require playerid)

a) Where to find the Playerid?: Nativator appends the user’s playerid to the Glide app URL under parameter: playerid , so your app URL will look like: https://myglideapp.com/?playerid=123456 (just an example).

Get parameter

Thanks to Glide plugins (Get Part of URL), we can now extract parameter from URLs, here is how:

1. Under Data Editor, create a new column under the name of Playerid and define its value as …other >> Data & APIs >> Get part of URL

save in database

1. Setup the URL as: URL of the current screen // parameter: playerid >> DONE

save in database2

b) Create a zap: Connect to your Zapier and setup your zap (Glide app > Onesgnal), generate Variables (VAR 1,2,3 etc),it’s done automatically.

Glide push 1

Push to Playerid with Glide

playerid VAR 12

c) Send a Push from Glide: After having set all field and published your zap, it will be available on your Glide app for usage under actions:

zap

Hope this helps upgrade Glide native apps features! We are converting more and more Glide app and they look good! Thanks to everyone.

Cheers,
Sam

2 Likes

Hi!
My free tier flow:

1. Triggering Make.com with message and chat id
  2. The make.com will sending Telegram message to Receivers chat with the Telegram bot.

So the Make have free tier with 1000 actions( each message event take 2 actions, so 500 sending notification monthly.
If need more, so you need to accounting in your Glide apps how may you already sended, and after quota left, you will use another Make account which have same confifuration.

Telegram bot is a free.

Another trick is: Make is watching new row in a google sheet and sending Telegram message to chat id from google sheet row.
And Telegram have Android and iOS apps with the push
Configuration of the telegram bot is natively “no code” Telegram features

Does it mean every recipient ID is unique and this ID has to be added during the installation of the app?

Hi

Can you show us how to do notification in tab for new items.

Thank you

Are you looking for how to integrate Glide with WhatsApp?
i have a glidepage with whatsapp integration demo. using glideapp or glidepage it can still be integrated with WhatsApp as long as it uses a spreadsheet database.

please open this link try it … if interested I can help you.