Allow stage+production environments

Hi,
In order to be able to replicate the stage environment-production environment model it would be very good to have the possibility of being able to make a copy of the developed application (in stage) and to be able to change the direction of the spreadsheet that contains the data; in this way the functionality can be developed on test data and once everything works fine to pass this new version to “production”.
Thanks a lot!!

5 Likes

Great idea! Although we will likely use a less technical term like “drafts” and “versions” and “published version.”

6 Likes

A simple workaround would be as follows:

Create a duplicate of your app using the same spreadsheet. Rename it to “Staging.AppName”. When you’re happy with how it looks and ready to release the changes, head back to your original app and rename it to “Old.AppName.” Then, simply rename the Staging app to the original app name, and it should update immediately. Once you do this, you can delete “Old.AppName” and start this entire process again. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Great idea, sorry for the need for a workaround! Someday we will have drafts/versions of your app. Not in the next six months, though.

2 Likes

This is a really good idea.

Just be careful if you modify the structure of the spreadsheet in your development app. It could break things in your production app since they are both pointing to the same spreadsheet.

1 Like

True. That’s a good point. The duplicate app can then only be used to play around with the layout without touching the spreadsheet.

2 Likes

Hi David ?
Is there any news regarding draft/versions/stage/production environments?
Thanks !!

3 Likes

Have you considered feature flagging instead? (testing in production)

I’m creating tabs in my Pro app that are only visible to me and my friend and a few testers. We can test complete flows that way and select who can see them, and only make them visible to everyone (replacing the existing tabs) when we’re confident :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Yes…this is a nice workaround…but I think pro versions should have some staging environment…

Really? I’m on pro plan and I haven’t come across staging. doubt it’s a thing

@Sina_Meraji for information - There is a feature request for this

I often do what you do though and hide tabs via visibility only for me to view and play with until they are ready for release and go into production

2 Likes