Add a star rating review

Mentioned this in an email with Glide some time back but thought I would add it here in case there was a workaround etc.

Basically what I would like to do is have users be able to leave a star-rating/review of a place or product that is listed in my app. I understand this isn’t possible at the moment but does anyone have a workaround solution?

Hey there,

You can create a Choice component in a form where there are 5 options: 1 star, 2 star, etc. One of the backend fields that users don’t touch must be the item/name they’re reviewing so that this choice matches the review.

The user then opens the form, selects their rating/review, and using the Inline List component you can attach this back to the item they’re reviewing.

Hope this helps! Please don’t hesitate to reach out for clarity.

@zzoldan, I was looking for a solution to a similar issue. I already tried what you suggested, using a choice component. But it records the last user’s rating. Ideally, we should be able to display an average rating for each item rather than the last submitted rating.

There should be a spreadsheet workaround to achieve this. I haven’t tried any yet.

That’s true, as it really depends if you’re looking for a list of ratings/review, or an average to display with the title. You can always take the user-submitted ratings and then use the Math component or an Average formula to display the average.

For example, if User A gives 5 stars, and User B gives 3, you can run the Average formula to conclude that the “Current rating is roughly 4 Stars.” Alternatively, you can keep a list of all the users who have their reviews/ratings.

Hope this helps a bit more!

1 Like

I implemented a solution and put a demo together. See this post:

3 Likes

Great minds think alike!

And fools seldom…

…copy @George_B’s great apps while they can.

1 Like

I want to sort the appearance of the user on the app based on the rating value. Those with high ratings are on the app’s display while the low ratings are listed below, is there a way ??? And that will appear that only a few sellers with a radius of 2 kilometers from the distance of the seller to the consumers is now updated…

by the way, I can’t give a star color to Rating, do you know how ??

Hello. How do I go about choosing a backend field. In my instance, I have an item seleceted that the user can’t touch, but it isn’t being added to my sheet when when the reveiw is submitted. All reviews are appearing on all products. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Here’s my take on a rating component:

When using a form, there are components you can add that fall under to column values category. These are all of the column values from the detail record where you placed the form button. You can use those components to automatically pass the value along with the form submission. Here you would submit the item name or ID along with the review. To display only the reviews that belong to that item, you need to create a relation column to link the item to the item name/id in the form response sheet. The relation is what you use in an inline list to display all of the reviews for that item.

1 Like

Z2:Z ={ “Rate Sum”; ARRAYFORMULA(IF(NOT(ISBLANK(A2:A)), (SUMIF(A2:A,A2:A,R2:R)),))}
AA2:AA ={ “Rate Count”; ARRAYFORMULA(IF(NOT(ISBLANK(A2:A)), (COUNTIF(A2:A,A2:A)),))}
={ “Rate Average Calc”; ARRAYFORMULA(IF(NOT(ISBLANK(A2:A)), ((Z2:Z)/(AA2:AA)),))}

Where A2:A - Identifier, not necessary ID, and R2:R - Glide Rating (1,2,3,4,5)

You can do rollups with this inside Glide editor.