16:9 Video Format

Is there any update on if or when it would be available?

Do you mean for Glide Apps or Glide Pages? I don’t think we have seen any mentions about it.

Apps, I am getting this black frame:

No, I don’t think I have seen an ETA on it being available for Apps.

You have that option for Pages, though.

I usually use a bit of CSS to modify the video component to make the component inline and 16:9.

I completely agree that the video component needs some love.

2 Likes

Completely agree the video component needs some “Love”. Video is an important item these days, especially in an app. The current component makes it very hard to have the app look clean on mobile devices.

Trimming the black borders would go a long way in allowing us more flexibility in layout and a more professional look and feel to the interface.

If you want to use some css, try this in a rich text component:

<pre><span><style>

[data-test="app-video-player"] {
margin-left: 15px !important;
width: 92%;
height: 200px;
}

[data-test="app-video-player"] :nth-child(1) {
border-radius: 15px !important;
}
3 Likes

Hi Robert, Thanks for the help. I am not using CSS, so maybe a silly question…where do I include the actual video source? Thanks

Video URL in the data table. A Video Component that points to that column. A Rich Text component that includes the CSS code I pasted above.

Result:
CleanShot 2022-05-19 at 09.42.15@2x

@tristan — Would love an “Inline” option for video component along with popular ratios selection (like image component). I typically add this CSS for every screen with a video component that isn’t the first component on the screen.

2 Likes

I am trying to learn this part…does the code go in a Rich Text component above a video component and have “an effect” on that video? I can’t get videos that are in a Container on my screen to go full screen in my app…it will flash when you select full screen but goes back to the smaller version.

The code only works in Classic Apps. For the new Glide Apps, you would need access to use CSS on Business/Enterprise, and most certainly have to modify it a bit to work with the new Glide Apps’ video component.

1 Like

thanks! Is there something I am missing that would cause this issue? Again, Container with 7 video components and they are set to 16:9 and when I click them and try to go ‘full screen’ it will flash like it will be full and then goes back to regular size.

That seems like strange behavior for sure. Can you share a loom recording?

1 Like

Video issue

Is that an install on a desktop computer? Which browser are you using? Which OS? What happens if you have the window maximized to begin with? What happens if you just open the app in a normal browser window and try to do a full screen video? Something is causing the entire app to restart when you attempt to go full screen.

Yes sir it is an install in Chrome on Windows 10 Pro. Ok when I open in a regular Chrome browser window they work just fine…but in the installed Chrome browser window it does that blink and back thingy…(technical term)…

Do you have a sharable link, or a demo app that we could try? Tried doing a Google search but didn’t find much info. I’m curious if it happens for others or just yourself. Seems to me that it would be a chrome bug, but I’m not sure.

I had an App exhibiting somewhat similar behaviour as this last week. In my case the App would load (very slowly) and then once loaded, it would drop into a cycle where it would crash and restart every 60-70 seconds. The behaviour only manifested when the App was installed, and was only observed in Safari on IOS.

After much troubleshooting with Glide Support, the issue with my App was eventually resolved simply by re-installing it :man_shrugging:

The suggestion from Glide Engineering was that the root cause of the issue may have been related to Screen Time/Web Content Restriction settings on my Phone. Although this was never confirmed.

I realise that the issue that @pipharvester is having is with Chrome/Windows and so is almost certainly unrelated. But the symptoms are similar, so perhaps there could be some similar Windows setting that’s getting in the way? :thinking:

1 Like

I just made a “copy” of the app if that will work…it has real data but can send you a link…
and where do I get the sharable link?

From “Jeff Hager via Glide Community” <notifications@glideapps.discoursemail.com>
To jerryrankin@gmail.com
Date 7/16/2023 8:13:50 PM
Subject [Glide Community] 16:9 Video Format

@Darren_Murphy I think it all works fine in mobile and only the Chrome installed version is showing this behavior! Thank you for the insight for sure…makes me know that the team can most assuredly find the issue. I LOVE GLIDE and this community!

From “Darren Murphy via Glide Community” <notifications@glideapps.discoursemail.com>
To jerryrankin@gmail.com
Date 7/16/2023 8:28:07 PM
Subject [Glide Community] 16:9 Video Format