Youtube on Glide

Hi there,
I am a teacher and I created a GLIDE application in order to put all of my lessons on video. Students therefore have the possibility thanks to this app to see and review my video lessons in the form of a tutorial. The problem is that we work with ipads and it looks like youtube’s “full screen” function does not work on glide? Can you help me ?

It should work. Which type of component are you using for the video?

Excuse me, I’m French so I’m trying to translate my words as well as possible… In reality, the problem is not that the video does not start in the application. In fact, it works without any problem. But the real problem is that you have to go through the youtube application to be able to have the video in full screen… On an Android smartphone the full screen works but obviously not on iOS.

Again, full screen should work. Can you tell me which type of component you are using for the video link? Would you mind adding a screen shot of what it looks like in the Glide Builder, as well as what you see on an iPad?

Encore une fois, le plein écran devrait fonctionner. Pouvez-vous me dire quel type de composant vous utilisez pour le lien vidéo ? Pourriez-vous ajouter une capture d'écran de ce à quoi cela ressemble dans Glide Builder, ainsi que ce que vous voyez sur un iPad ?
1 Like

1 Like

Which browser are you using on the iPad?

On an iPad, you should install the App using Safari.

Quel navigateur utilisez-vous sur l’iPad ?

Sur un iPad, vous devez installer l’application à l’aide de Safari.

This is indeed the case. My students flash the QR code, the page opens on SAFARI then “displays on the home screen” to allow access to the application…

Okay, I’m not sure what the problem might be then. As long as the App has been installed using Safari, then it should work. I don’t have an iPad to test with, but I tested with an iPhone of my own just now to confirm that.

D’accord, je ne sais pas quel pourrait être le problème alors. Tant que l’application a été installée à l’aide de Safari, elle devrait fonctionner. Je n’ai pas d’iPad pour tester, mais j’ai testé avec mon propre iPhone tout à l’heure pour le confirmer.

It seems that Google wants as many users as possible to use its YOUTUBE app…

Can you share a link to one of the videos that won’t work in full screen mode?

Here is :

PS: no video works in full screen. (I specify again that the videos work in full screen on a browser or in the youtube application, but not in the glide application)

That works for me. I added it to an App, then opened the App on an iPhone. I was able to play the video in full screen mode.

Ça marche pour moi. Je l'ai ajouté à une application, puis j'ai ouvert l'application sur un iPhone. J'ai pu lire la vidéo en mode plein écran.

Do your students actually add the App to their home screen at this point?
When they scan the QR code, the App opens in a “pseudo-browser”. If they continue using the App from there without installing it, that may explain why the video won’t play in full screen mode.

Vos élèves ajoutent-ils réellement l'application à leur écran d'accueil à ce stade ? Lorsqu'ils scannent le code QR, l'application s'ouvre dans un "pseudo-navigateur". S'ils continuent à utiliser l'application à partir de là sans l'installer, cela peut expliquer pourquoi la vidéo ne sera pas lue en mode plein écran.

Here is what I and They do to “install” my app.

Okay, yes that looks like it’s correctly installed.

As I said, it worked perfectly fine when I tested the same video, so I’m not sure what the problem might be. Maybe it’s a regional issue, maybe it’s an older version of IOS/Safari. I really don’t know, sorry.

Hopefully somebody else will take a look and see something that I’ve missed.

Ok, oui, ça a l'air d'être correctement installé.

Comme je l’ai dit, cela a parfaitement fonctionné lorsque j’ai testé la même vidéo, donc je ne sais pas quel pourrait être le problème. C’est peut-être un problème régional, c’est peut-être une ancienne version d’IOS/Safari. Je ne sais vraiment pas, désolé.

J’espère que quelqu’un d’autre jettera un coup d’œil et verra quelque chose que j’ai raté.

The devices all have the last updates.
Thanks for the time you spent for me.

Any one else ?