Using Row Owners

Hi everyone!

I want to use Row Owners in an app. However, I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong. In the documentation, I can see it’s possible to use a column with email addresses as row owners and also a column with an array of email addresses. However, the array doesn’t work for me.

Scherm­afbeelding 2022-12-28 om 00.51.13

As you can see, the option ‘Row Owners’ is unavailable. But without this, it will be tough to implement Row Owners in the app. So if anyone knows how to fix this, let me know :).

You can use an array column but the array can’t be from a Make array…it has to be from a Google a Sheet or AirTable base. It’s a known limitation.

1 Like

Thanks for your response! Do you have an example of how I could implement this?

I have three types of email addresses that I would like to make row owners.

1. The email address attached to the profile itself, which is one email address
  2. The email address of the ‘boss’ of that specific user can be looked up with the relation column (there is a column with an ‘id’ of that boss in the row of each profile. The id corresponds to another row where the email address of the boss can be found)
  3. All admins of the app. These are all the users with the user role ‘admin’. They should always have access to all rows, and therefore they should be row owners.

Any idea how I could do this?

If you have a google sheet, you can create 3 columns with the same name but sequentially numbered (ex. Email 1, Email 2, Email 3). This will form an array in glide that can become a Row Owner array. This is the only way to do it. This works because the array is formed on the server. Any other array is formed on the user’s device, so all data would have to be downloaded before computed columns can form the array, thus the secure of row owners is void.

Keep in mind that you can always assign multiple columns as row owner columns, so it doesn’t have to be an array.

Also consider using Role functionality. Although any user with an assigned Role will be considered a private user.

3 Likes

If you have AirTable, then simply create a MultipleSelect Column and add them in manually.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.