Using Maps & Locations

Hi folks. I am creating a work order management / job tracking app for my remote crews who repair municipal sidewalks.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to add a Google Maps lookup to the Jobs database.

Location doesn’t seem to be a data or form element? Am I missing something?

Can you explain what you mean by “Google Maps lookup”?

Location is a component to collect the user’s location in coordinates form, but it is static and won’t update over time.

1 Like

Maybe @jgliftoff means he cannot figure out how to display location pins on a map?

If this is the case: create a liste or inline list, and set the display layout type to map.

Map layout

1 Like

Hello @nathanaelb and @ThinhDinh and thanks for the replies! I am trying to achieve the latter - pins on a map. But before I get to the display, I am trying to figure out how I can get an address field using Glide Tables (see image)

I would like to have a specific address for each row, and display the map on the details page in the web app. Do I need to capture the address fields (Unit, Street, City, Region, Country, Code) separately?

Thanks again.

I call it a Google Maps Lookup as I was thinking about the form input - I would love to have the standard Google ‘type-ahead’ functionality.

So you’re letting the users fill that themselves? To make it easier, I think it should be a single field.

This is, to be clear, not easy to achieve. Please follow the tutorial below to use the Geoapify API.

2 Likes

Thanks @ThinhDinh, I appreciate the clarity. I’m looking for easy to achieve :slight_smile: Going to have to sacrifice the form experience and just focus on the data.

You’re on the right path. To keep it simple, here’s how I would approach it:

1. Input an address manually in your Glide Table, in a text basic column. Check if the pin displays on the map. “Eg. 100 boulevard Leclerc, Paris” or is the zip code required.
  2. In the builder, on your screen, include a text input component that writes to the text column in 1. Now your setup should work.
  3. Your setup in prone to error, to improve it:
    3a. In your table, instead of one text column, create multiple: street, zip, city (for instance). Join this data in a final column called “Full address”, this column is a template column.
    3b. Instead of one text input component, create multiple: street, zip, city. Make “required” as needed. Now your “Full address” column should be populating with the data submitted.
  4. Your setup in 3 is now better, but it is still prone to error because it is not validating the existence of the address. Use Thinh’s method with a 3rd party geo API that validates in real time your address and suggests the correct format.