šŸŒŖ Use Multiple Choice Components to Filter an Inline List

As @Robert_petitto says, count every write to USC as an edit is a nightmare and real concern.
Some cases are worse than others but when we use USC to create a better UX, the situation is complex to avoid too many edits.

See this example, I have 2 floating buttons to help user to select any quantity of a product. If a user pressed 6 times the ā€œ+ā€ button, my edits count is 6 quickly and if he does the same with other 10 products, my count will be 60 and the process hasnā€™t finished yet (he still needs to complete the checkout!).

If my APP carries out 20 orders daily (average), it will hit any count edit limit very soon ā€¦ itā€™s a nightmare :flushed:

The Jeffā€™s idea would be a great solution so far.

Saludos!

5 Likes

Exactly. 100 times over.

@DJP I just looked at my usage dashboard. I see 52k edits and only 1.2k adds. My conservative estimate would be that 50 of those 52k edits are the types of ā€œeditsā€ that Bob describes above. That is, they are not changing any actual data. Instead, they are used to enhance the user experience.

6 Likes

Hi there,

Just started evaluating Glide. If I use the built-in Glide tables does the update problem apply or is this only an issue for external sources?

TIA

It still applies as of now because itā€™s viewed as an ā€œeditā€. External sources consume ā€œeditsā€, plus ā€œsyncsā€.

Thanks. The whole charging per update is ridiculous especially on their own Glide tables. I can sort of see the sync part to external sources but ā€œinternalā€ updates? WTF. No other word for it than a very bizarre business model where you punish your users for using your products most basic feature.

Shame but I really canā€™t take this as a serious product for deployment - so thanks for the quick response - so I can stop wasting my time. Bizarro.

The whole charging per update is ridiculous especially on their own Glide tables. I can sort of see the sync part to external sources but ā€œinternalā€ updates? WTF. No other word for it than a very bizarre business model where you punish your users for using your products most basic feature.

I have no way to disagree with this. Counting any write to USC as an edit makes no sense to me and makes it hard to create smart and customized solutions.

I hope and think that Glide team is thinking in a workaround for this situation soon.

Shame but I really canā€™t take this as a serious product for deployment

Donā€™t go so far, Glide is improving every 3-4 months and some mid-complex deployments can be developed easily in next months.

2 Likes

I know nothing about Glideā€™s cost structure. If I had to guess though, I would say one of the variable costs of Glide directly related to the product/tech is the amount of computation that happens across the projects of Glide developers. Glide probably runs its own servers, maybe uses AWS or things like that, and the cost of a gazillion bits computed in a project is higher than if only a few bits are computed. This assumption could be wrong, correct or somewhere in between. Gideā€™s pricing in part based on syncs and edits would then simply reflect this, the cost of computing data. So until Glide is big enough, it does not shock me that Glide passes on some of its technical costs onto the customer.

The below from Glideā€™s CEO might help to understand:

Glide is built on top of Google Cloud, where we pay for each time we create, edit, or delete your appā€™s data. Do you think Google is ā€œpunishingā€ us for using their cloud?

We donā€™t view Google as punishing usā€“thatā€™s just their business model, and itā€™s ours too. Maybe you think that editing data in Glide Tables is free for us to do, so it should be free for you? It is not free.

We expect you to pay for Glide if you use it seriously, and the more you use it, the more you should payā€“it definitely costs us more when you use Glide more! If this seems like a ridiculous idea to you, then I donā€™t know what to tell youā€“itā€™s how most businesses on the internet that arenā€™t driven by ad revenue work.

6 Likes

Hi @david,

May I kindly ask that you also address the question or uncertainty around the use of USC and why they are counted towards updatesā€¦
This is a real concern not only for @Robert_Petitto but for many and it was highlighted a couple of times in the thread about the new plansā€¦
Are there still talks around it and if so, when can we expect some form of feedback. Before it was not much of an issue because quotas were not enforced but I think now Glide is at a stage of enforcing quotas. I hope we can have a general response or commitment to this rather than User specific solution (Pardon the pun) ā€œInbox me type of solutionā€. Thanks

5 Likes

we could still use multiple choice filters inside edit forms with no updates counted ā€¦ right?

Correct. Add, Edit, and Form screens do not write any data until the form is submitted.

2 Likes

As expected, Glide uses Google Cloud like firebase or indeed firebase. I also see storage and change billing in Firebase or Firestore.

I think the way Glide works is like this.
Glide uses React and Styled-components as frameworks and PubSubJS, HowlerJS and core-js as their JavaScript libraries and largest storage Google Cloud.

Glide doesnā€™t make apps without code for free but wants to build a large and mutually beneficial community.

Iā€™m honestly very happy with Glide, even custom CSS and HTML are not available on other no-code Appbuilder platforms. :laughing:

2 Likes

Simple genial, genial simple! Congratulations!
Nevertheless I have one caveat: mltiple choice can be done substantially more simple!
Instead splitting entries separated by commas, you can use INCLUDES!
Multiple choice filter ā€œAL,FLā€ includes both AL and FL records! :slight_smile:

While that is true, you need to be careful. If your choices could include AL, AAL, FL, FFL and a user chose AAL and FFL, then the include would be picking up the wrong rows. Not only the rows with AAL and FFL, but also the rows with AL and FL because AL is included in AAL. You just need to make sure that none of the choices have similar characters.

Of course, I am aware of that. I am using that in my app for recording and presenting children injuries for the column ā€œInjury circumstanceā€, such as fall, drawning, hit by object, traffic etc. In such case there is no risk of such mistake.

Another topic: is Glide aware of one funny bug in multiple choice? It doesnā€™t function when entries end with the space!?

1 Like

in addition, thie problem can be mitigated very easy: if you have ā€œAL,AAL,FL,FFLā€ (there are no spaces after commas!), you can convert this in ā€œ,AL,AAL,FL,FFL,ā€ and also to search it not with original entry ā€œALā€, but with ā€œ,AL,ā€ instead! Here you have in theory the jeopardy if you have real commas in your data, but I think this is negligeable!

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m sure they are aware. Iā€™ve seen glide suggest that people should check for spaces, so Im not sure if they view it as a bug or not.

1 Like

ā€œworks as designedā€! :slight_smile:
This is defitively the bug!

1 Like

Hi, Robert. Thank you for this tutorial.

Iā€™ve watched the last version and I loved it. Itā€™s a simpler and more elegant solution than showing and hiding a lot of inline lists. It really helped me simplified my app. Thank you very much! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now, I was having second thoughts about what you say in the video at 2:55 - filtering the screen with ā€œEmail is signed in userā€ -, so I tried not to, and it works fine.

Please help me if Iā€™m wrong here: since the choice is stored in a user-specific column in the Users table, it only affects the signed-in user, not the other signed-in users, nor the not-signed-in users.

Something really important is that if you put the specific user colum for the selected choice in the Users table, only the signed-in users will see the choice component. The anonymous users wonā€™t be affected by the filter, and even more: they wonā€™t see it, the component does not display in the screen.

In my case, that resulted positive, because now the filter is a ā€œfeature for membersā€, but for others maybe it can be an inconvenience.

So, when you want every user to have this filter functionality, you have to store the specific user column for the selected choice in your data table, and not in the Users table. I think in that case your saying in the video is right: then you do have to filter the screen with ā€œEmail is signed-in userā€ or else your choice will affect to every user in the app.

Can you please take a look and tell me if Iā€™m right or wrong? Thank you in advance

1 Like