Track Button Click by Signed In User

Hi!

I have two button components, one on top of each other. I would like to have the firsr button appear if a user has not clicked on it (while the second is hidden) and then the second button to appear once they do, where the first one hidden.

Any idea how I can do this?
Is there also a way I can tell which users clicked on the first button?

Thanks!

1 Like

You could use compound actions and ā€œset columnsā€ for every button click in a new column.
If you want a log of all the clicks, you could use add row and have another sheet that has a list of rows for every button click as well.

3 Likes

Create a column in your User Profiles sheet to record this, and then set a value in that column when the user clicks the button. It can be any type of column, but I usually use a date/time column, and set it to the current time. This tells me:

• the user has clicked it, and
  • when they clicked it
2 Likes

Give this a go. You could simple use a counter. Each button press increases the count by 1. If Even button 1 shows, if odd button 2

2 Likes

This might explain better what I am trying to achieve.

So here is the front-end setup:
Everytime a user clicks the ā€˜redeemā€™ button on an offer, the number goes down until there no more left. Iā€™m using increments instead of the set columns (not sure if that has a similar effect?) as @Manan_Mehta mentioned. Once they click on the redeem button for a specific offer, the button on the bottom appears and they cannot use this offer anymore. In turn, the top button bar disappears.
promo123

On the backend I have this setup on the offers sheet. I was wondering if these should be user-specific? Or should this be on the user profiles sheet instead? I think you mentioned this @Darren_Murphy If so, how can this be linked to the offer sheet and specific offer?
promo1234

I was also thinking I would have to create some type of relation on this sheet linked to the user profile sheet, or vice versa if itā€™s supposed to be on the users profile sheet. Maybe I should create a redeemed column on the user profiles sheet and link that as a relation to the offer sheet? Not too sureā€¦

Thanks! Yes Iā€™m using increments, my problem is trying is figuring out how to tie a click to specific user.

Hi Jen,

This is actually quite simple. All you need to do is make the ā€˜Redeemedā€™ column in your Offers sheet a User Specific Column.

If the offers are limited to one redemption per user, that can be a boolean column. Otherwise, make it a numeric column.

Then every time a user clicks the ā€˜Redeemā€™ button, you do two things:

• Increment the Available column by -1
  • Set the Redeemed column to ā€˜trueā€™ (if limited to one per user), or increment by 1 (if not limited)

Then you use the state of those two columns to drive your component visibility.

And thatā€™s it!

3 Likes

In addition, if Redeemed is true then show a failure notification, telling the user that they have already redeemed the code (and play some sound).

2 Likes

Do you think thatā€™s better than just having the bottom button appear while the top button bar disappears?

It is a good alternative, yes.

1 Like

Oh, thanks! So I have a multi action setup, I have an -1 increment on the avilable column, but donā€™t see what I have have for the redeem column? There is no ā€˜mark trueā€™ or ā€˜check offā€™ action.

Use Set Columns, and then set a custom value of true

1 Like

Thanks! Havent used that action yet, so waasnt sure what it did. So I switched to another user and the ā€˜redeemā€™ button does not appear. I have the visibilty set to show when redeemed is false.

Also, is there a way to tell which users redeemed the offer?

To do that, youā€™ll need to:

• add a column to your User Profiles sheet to capture the data
  • create a single relation back to your User Profiles sheet
  • add another ā€˜Set Columnsā€™ action to your multi-step flow to set that column, via the single relation

Thanks! I will try, the redeem button is not showing up however when I view as a new user.

Try setting the visibility as ā€œnot trueā€ (use all lowercase true)

Actually, @Jen_NYCP - just thinking about that you shouldnā€™t need that relation, as you should be able directly set the column

ie. Set Columns ā†’ User ā†’ column name

ā€˜not trueā€™ doesnā€™t seem work either

hmm, it should. When you switch to another user, what do you see in that user specific column?

the box is unchecked