Tie Student to Parent User

I’m new to Glide and working through figuring everything out. I was told that the best way to setup my system for what we want is to have an Admin input student/child info and then have people sign up for the app and tie them to one or more child/students.

This would allow for parent, aunt, teacher all to be able to input data for a single child and a parent to be able to be tied to multiple children as well.

Now my question is…how do I go about setting up the connection? Is there a way to pass on the unique Row ID for the student in a sign up email? Is there an easier way to tie a child to a parent as well as other?

Do those children have emails themselves? Will they ever log into the app?

1 Like

No, they will not have emails or log in. But we may have multiple parents or family members who want to input info for each child.

There must be a mechanism in there to let people “claim” a child profile, I guess, and you may have to let users add children on their own, otherwise it’s hard to scale.

The user that added children will be the only one who can verify it “claims” are valid or not.

I think that’s an option before you dive into the data structure.

Ya, there are a few ways to approach this, but you’ll want to provide families with a unique student code or QR code. By inputting/scanning the code, a parent will be able associate their user profile row to the child account. The easiest way to do this is write a new record to a “parent-student association” table that includes both the user id and the student id, but it might not be scalable since many adults can be associated to the same child.

A leaner approach would be to write the student id to an array column in the user profile table, but this is a trickier setup. It involves using inline arrays using what we call the “Trebuchet method”. I plan on making a tutorial video on inline arrays as soon as Glide supports JSON in inline arrays.

Until then maybe a combo of these two videos will help:

This video uses a slightly outdated trebuchet setup, but the concept still works

3 Likes