Show list of users who favourited a location

Hey :wave:

I’m building a surf gallery location directory → https://diary.surf/

I’ve managed to build in feature to Favorite a location using a User specific column

However I want to notify the users whenever an item is posted to that specific gallery Location that they are following (i.e Favorited)

How would I get a list of users that have ticked Favorited? As this data is User specific … :face_with_monocle:

You can’t. Well, not easily. But, I don’t think you need that…

There is a way you could do this without having to directly access your Users user specific data.

I assume you have a separate table with “Location Posts” that is linked to your Locations table via a LocationID (or similar), yes?

Assuming that’s true, you should be able to use a lookup to retrieve the signed-in users Following status from your Locations table.

Then what you can do is add a user specific boolean column to your Posts table. Each time a user views a Post, set that column to true.

Now, to determine if any post for any of a users followed locations is new, you just need an if-then-else column:

• If followed is not checked, then null (leave empty)
  • If viewed is checked, then null
  • Else true

Any posts where that if-then-else column is checked can now be considered as “new” (for the signed-in user).
You could present a list of “New/Unread” posts in an inline list using that column as a filter. Every user would see a different list, depending on which Locations they are following.

1 Like

Thanks @Darren_Murphy

For some reason I can’t add another User specific column (it’s greyed out)? Is there maybe a reason you can’t have more than 1 User specific in table?

Quick clarification, following != view, they need to actually Favourite a location to Follow it.
I’m just not sure I need to know if they are unread or new.

Let me clarify further:

Surfer Journey:

• The Surfers :heart: Favourite location(s) they like or generally surf at
  • Once a photographer has posted an image, the Surfer receives an email to say that their :heart: Favourite location has a new image posted to it.

Photographer

• Posts in Gallery that has a Location Linked to it

No, you can have as many as you like. But once a column has been created, you can’t change it to User Specific (or vice-versa). You just need to create a new column and make sure you check the box before you save.

Okay, so what I described wont get you this. Probably your best option here is to use Trebuchet to maintain a list of Location Followers. Have a watch of Bob’s video to learn how that works:

1 Like

Just looping back, the Trebuchet was def a winner!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.