Sheet Edits Quota—1000 per month?

@david, does it mean that when we do not open G-Sheet in Chrome, there is no “sheet reload”?
(my counter is exploding, while I very few change my G-Sheet)

No, that’s not what it means. We explain sheet edits in detail on our pricing page.

Hi,

Where can i find the Sheet Edits Quota (—1000 per month?) in the new interface ?

Thx for answer.

On the top right, where you click this part.

I have a free glide, i can’t see this screen on my glide. Only in a pro glide ?

You can check your usage stats via the upgrade button in glide on free apps, top right of the glide builder

1 Like

Hum, ok, thx !
It’s work only with PC ! (i used to work with tablet or mobile)

Hi Mark, just want to clarify as I cannot find any clear explanation anywhere:

1. The “Sheet Edits” count only increases based on data being read from the spreadsheet back into Glide or is the count increasing when data is being updated to the spreadsheet as well?

2. Once the “Sheet Edits” max is reached then Glide will not limit writing of data back to the spreadsheet but it will limit data being read from the spreadsheet.

Is that the correct understanding?
If there is a nice and clear explanation anywhere of how the Sheet Edits increase and what happens once they are reached, feel free to direct me there?

Hi @DJF94

Does this help?

Taken from Limits on Free Apps - Glide Library

1 Like

Many thanks @Rosewebstudio, yes I have read it MANY times (along with many community posts) but still do not have clear and definite answers.

I want to keep my app sheet edits per month within a certain range for obvious pricing reasons. Currently I cannot work out how the sheet edits are increasing and so cannot plan/think if there are ways to change my app to reduce the increase in the count so I know I will be within that range (this is not for the personal/free 1000 limit but a paid plan).

Originally I thought if I move to glide tables it will help but I believe there will be no difference, correct?

My factors:
Weekly event
~ 250 user profiles exist
~ 250 registration records per week created (seems ~500 sheet edits for these).
~ 250 updates (sheet edits) to registration records
Total ~750 sheet edits per week, so depending on how many other things increase the sheet edits (yes I have increases like other people where nothing is being done on the app) and how many weeks in the calendar month I might hit more than my limit of sheet edits

So I am looking for some detailed (and ideally official) info.
Given Glide charge for sheet edits and row counts, to me there should be clear documentation how these are calculated and that is what I am hoping to find in order to determine how to move forward with my app.

Many thanks

1 Like

Glide Tables do not create ANY sheet edits/sheet reloads. Sheet edits/reloads only happen when you use Google Sheets, as it says in the documentation.

In other words, Glide Tables have unlimited sheet edits on every plan.

Every time your app changes the connected Google Sheet, that’s one sheet edit. Every time someone edits the connected Google Sheet directly in the Google Sheets interface, that’s one sheet edit.

As a last resort, if you upgrade to our Pro plan, you have unlimited sheet edits.

8 Likes

Move choice tabs to glide tables to avoid edit usage, and everything you can…

1 Like

Thanks @Uzo

Sorry I am not totally clear does a ‘choice tab’ mean the Google Sheet that holds the lookup values behind a glide choice entry field (“Source” section of the choice entry)? Or is it the Google sheet where the choice entry stores the users selected value (“Data” section of the choice entry)?

Is there any posts you can point me to about ‘choice tabs’ and why they are bad for Sheet Edits?

FYI for my app the Google Sheets used for the Source of choice entry fields are very static (no new rows and values are not changed).

Thank you very much

There’s nothing wrong with using a google sheet as the data source for choice components, but I think what @Uzo is saying is that if you can migrate any data into glide tables, then it can help reduce the amount of data that has to syncronize between glide and google. If it’s static data, then no it’s not going to make much of a difference, but any sheets that have data updated as well as being located in a google sheet will count against sheet edits.

There’s no functional difference between glide tables and google sheets as far as the app is concerned. The app only communicates with the data stored on glide servers. It’s the glide servers that then synchronize data with the google sheet. If there is functionality that can only be achieved in a google sheet, then you will have to rely on using them. If functionality can be achieved by only using glide tables, then it’s better in the long run because you will not have hits to your sheet edit count and it’s less overhead and cost for glide to keep that data in sync. The only real downside to google sheets is that any calculations that happen on the google sheet side will take a few seconds to minutes to synchronize back to glide. Doing those calculations on the glide side is instantaneous with no delay. Just synchronizing basic column data from glide to google will have no affect on the app, but when things change on the sheet side, then you can see delays as it has to synchronize back to the glide servers and then back out to the user’s app.

Some of my apps are older and were created prior to glide tables existing. Some functionality is only achievable within google sheets, so I still heavily rely on google sheets, but I’ve been trying to do more and more exclusively in glide tables.

It basically comes down to if you think you would ever need some functionality that is exclusive to google sheets, now or any time in the future. If you don’t think you ever will, then I’d say go for using glide tables exclusively. It’s nothing to overthink about. Google sheets is like a backup of the data stored in glide, but the difference is that they both synchronize both ways. If data is sourced from a google sheet, then any change to any data in a row at that exact moment will trigger a sheet edit as it synchronizes to the google sheet. If you are using entry components on a detail screen as opposed to a edit screen, then each and every change on that screen could potentially trigger a sheet edit since it’s updating the data in real time. Using an edit screen only updates the data once the user clicks on submit.

4 Likes

Sorry, English is not my primary language. what i meant is any choices, counters… etc that you don’t need to keep track in Google sheets… move to glide tables and results call by using relations and lookups columns to display in your App. And in case you need it, use button with set column action to write it back to gsheet

1 Like

Thank you Jeff and Uzo, I am a lot clearer now due to your help :slight_smile:

@Jeff_Hager as you mentioned there are somethings you cannot do with glide tables, such as doing a COUNTIF type function across all records when the row owner has been turned on. Any chance you have overcome this using glide tables somehow?

Example:
I have Attendee records and they pick a zone when they register.
Row owner is turned on for Attendees table so they only see their record.
In the Zone master table I want a column to show how many attendees are in that zone and I want to hide (filter) the zone in the lookup list if it reaches a max setting so that the user cannot pick it.
If I use a glide relation then in the app the user will only see themselves in the count.

So based on my understanding I have to keep the Zone master and Attendees both in google sheets to achieve the count I want.

If there is another way to do this using just glide tables I am keen to hear how I can try to do it :slight_smile:

Thank you all very much once again

1 Like

Do you want everybody to see the total count, or just an administrator? If it’s just an administrator, then you could set up a second column with the administrator’s email and use it as a secondary row owner. If you want everybody to see the count, then I would probably set up an on submit action when submitting a form. The form would add a registration record for the user, and the on submit would increment a count on the event…or depending on your setup, you could create a single relation and set a column value with a count through that single relation.

1 Like

Thanks Jeff once again,

I want everyone to see the count and also after they have registered I want to let them be able to change between zones so long as there is space available in the zone they want. So I need to manage increment for the new zone and deduction from previous zone during an edit, which is the part I am struggling the most with.

Do I need something like another field on the Attendee table to capture ‘Previous Zone’ and then some action on the edit screen’s ‘Done’ to compare current Zone with Previous Zone and do some if then else to deduct and increment the zone counts (and also finally set Previous Zone to have the same value as current Zone)?

Or maybe I should be using a screen rather than the default edit?

Sorry for all the questions and many thanks for your patience and answers!

Hi,
could you please tell me what the update have you guys done to glide recently? all my sheets are messed up and images disappeared including description a lot of mess can anyone pls get back to me immediately will be thanks full

Kinds Regards