Sad (but now HAPPY) story. Lost 8 projects over GDPR issues - new feature added

That’s what happened to me, I had to shutdown my covid app because of too many personal information collected - even if not used and even not displayed. It’s a pity, and yes I agree, so much constraints for a fucking checkbox!

1 Like

@Christophe_HK, for all intents and purposes, a flippin’ checkbox would be a simple step in the right direction on our way to GDPR nirvana (if such a place exists!).

I’m really worried that the Glide team are practically silent on this, or at least the Glide fairies haven’t yet quietly delivered a delightful present overnight for us to be awoken by the sudden introduction of a fucking checkbox (let’s call it what it is!).

3 Likes

Hi Gliders, a little bit of your view on the GDPR future would be appreciated!

It may also be up to us, app makers, to show some evidence that a GDPR feature would represent good ROI in the Glide product roadmap.

Proof? :wink:

The proof is that you cant release a serious public app in Europe without … It’s a necessity by law.
So if you want serious customers in Europe, it’s a must have.

1 Like

@erwblo I have to up my emoji game, I didn’t mean to provoke :pray:t2:

We do have to understand that the Glide Team has a product roadmap. The GDPR feature is probably there and just hasn’t been released yet. Considering how quickly features are released and how impressive the platform has become in so little time, I would argue they know what they are doing. Weighing which features to work on next is not an easy task. They use an ROI and priority system.

In a way, we makers in part dictate the needs and development. So long as too few apps actually need a feature, isn’t it normal that that feature would not necessarily have priority in the roadmap?

I know what Glide does and how Glide works and I praise Glide a lot.
But in this case, communication is appreciated. So people can use that info to plan their work accordingly.

6 Likes

@nathanaelb: Proof?

What about a law suit? :wink:

I don’t subscribe to the view that GDPR is an optional ‘nice to have’ feature that may, or may not, be on a product development roadmap.

As @erwblo correctly points out: it’s a necessity by law.

It’s not like the concept of GDPR suddenly crept up on the Glide team after they’d launched their product, it was on the drawing board for a number of years before it became statutory on May 25th 2018.

The EU is still the largest single market area in the world; larger than the U.S.

As for ROI, that’s really shortsighted in this particular case, and irrelevant actually, as the product in its current state is not GDPR compliant. It’s illegal.

In short, the GDPR is not a feature; it’s a core necessity.

4 Likes

Hi I am Valerio from Rome Italy I have one Pro app with Glide to book beach chaise longue in my chiringuito (for the covid-19 problem) have 1000 users rigth now and during the process to book I ask to check the gdpr consense but this is not enough cos’ at the moment of the first login screen (where after you receive the pin ) I am already **acquiring data without consent. This should be in my little opinion the first steps to solve…regards Valerio

1 Like

Buongiorno @valerio,

Only if you feel comfortable sharing, is your app used in the context of a business? Does it contribute to sales?

@valerio: It’s not even an ‘opinion’, it is required by law! :wink:

Active and informed user consent needs to be acquired before they submit any personal data.

It’s a simple checkbox that needs to be ticked before the signup button becomes active.

1 Like

yes we are using it to limit access to the beach and comply with the Italian law on social distancing. in Italy, however, also to sit at the restaurant, if you are not familiar you have to fill in a sheet … so in any case we collect data with consent but as regards the app in the first instance it is a problem.

1 Like

Yes you rigth … I hope it will be resolved soon at least the check-box !!

1 Like

Like others said, GDPR is not a feature, it’s a mandatory compliance requirement that, if not fulfilled, can throw us all in the worst nightmare we have ever lived.

When I launch a new initiative / website, the first service I sign up is Iubenda. All the fancy stuff comes later.

1 Like

What if we collected the consent BEFORE getting into the app? My current process is currently two steps so it’s not great for the user but maybe that covers the GDPR issue? They get to the landing page for the app (mine is using landen), they click on “get the app” which takes them to an email capture form with the consent text.

1 Like

@Stephanie_Bonnet: I was thinking along the same lines this morning, i.e. an inbetween page that explains what is happening with a checkbox that, when checked, will enable a button that when clicked will then take them to the link where the app resides.

From then on they have already given their informed and explicit consent to anything that happens thereafter.

It’s clunky, but doable with the way in which our WP site is set up.

The main problem here is there’s no connection, i.e. data pathway, between their action on our inbetween page and the app itself, as they are 2 different platforms technically - though we could argue they are all part of the same domain.

Great idea, I thought of that too, however I’m a little nervous of users somehow by passing the website and diving straight into the app…

Tab visibility would allow for a gated screen when entering the app the first time.

Once consent is given (a checkbox within these gated screens), how would the app owner/maker be able to follow through on a user’s rights?

@krivo summed up the rights of users under GDPR.

1 Like

@nathanaelb: thinking along these lines of utilising tab visibility, it could be presented as a form that would contain a checkbox and also capture the user’s email hence setting them up as a User?

We would also need to disable any other tabs or ways in to the app until the consent process has been completed, i.e. the form being submitted.

Thing is, this is all rather bothersome and clunky, and really this should be addressed by Glide itself straight out of the box.

@garrison The GDPR tab(s) would be visible – and all others non visible – until the user checked the necessary checkboxes. A form button component might work. How about the checkbox button component?