Possible to make a Home Screen?

So I’m trying to make a home screen for my app. I want to have a grid view but I want each item to be one of the other sheets full of data, so like Set 1, Set 2, ect. I can’t seem to figure out how to do that though. Does that make sense? Any help is appreciated and please let me know if I can explain better somehow!

I think what you want is a custom action on your grid collection, with a separate conditional branch for each grid item. So something like:

• If Grid item 1, then do A
  • Else if Grid item 2, then do B
  • Else if Grid item 3, then do C
  • etc.

With Classic Apps, we would have handled this with Independent Screen configuration. That feature is not yet available with the new Glide Apps, so the above is an alternative solution.

1 Like

Im not a coder but i did basic stuff back in high school :sweat_smile: so i think i get what you mean. That will give me the desired results of like…

Grid item 1 takes me to the birthday cards sheet
Grid item 2 takes me to the graduation cards sheet
Ect?

Yes, exactly :+1:

I hate to be a bother again but I’m having a hard time setting up a custom action on the grid collection. It’s defaulting to one of my sheets and I don’t want it to do that because it populates the whole screen then. Can you help me get this started?

So far I added a custom screen under Navigation and it defaults to Custom style but when I change it to Grid it just adds all the data from my first sheet. How can I set it up to make each grid item a different sheet link basically? I can’t find where I need to put in that information, sorry for so many questions.

You need to customise the Grid Item Click Action.

Go to your Grid component, select the Actions section, and you should see something like the below:

The default action will always be Show Detail Screen. You need to change that to a custom action (Create New Action), and that’s where you setup the conditional branching as I described in my earlier reply.

Okay I got to that but it still defaults my source to my first sheet? It has User Interaction with “first sheet” and then all the if commands are based on field data from that sheet. I’m starting to think as “easy” as Glide makes it it might still be over my head or I’m missing something :sweat_smile:

What you should see here are the columns that are in the table that is the source of the Grid Collection.

Sounds like you might be trying to multi-purpose one of your tables.

My suggestion would be to create a completely new table, and use this purely for the purpose of your home navigation screen. Add one row for each of your “Navigation Items”, and then use this table as the source of your grid collection.

If you’re still facing challenges, a screen shot or two would help me visualise what you have.

1 Like

I’m going to take a break since It’s late and maybe that’s why I’m having troubles. I’ll try to take some pics this weekend/week to show what I have and the things I’m having issues with if you’re willing to help. I don’t feel like I’m trying to do anything too complex but I just keep having issues trying to make what I want to happen happen :sweat_smile:

No problem. If I’m not about, I’m sure somebody else will jump in and help.

I think this video shows what you are trying to do.

Build Better Navigation

Start watching around the 12 min mark.