Maintenance or disable app login

Hi,

is there a way to unpublish the app or disable login for maintenance or upgrades ?

1 Like

You can checkout this discussion.

https://community.glideapps.com/t/question-for-ya-development-on-live-app/10585

Your really busy @ThinhDinh

Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private.

Huh

Oops! That page doesn`t exist or is private

It’s private

Basically what you can do is change the link and it will disable entry and then rechange.
Another option is to duplicate your app, implement the change and then turn the link if the new app to the link you have after changing the link in the old app so it will be free to use again

1 Like

Good idea. But what about pro app with custom domain?
Glide team needs to add development mode or a “save” button for us.

1 Like

Yes it’s down the road

Does that work with custom domain pro apps ?

Don’t know. Never did this with a custom domain but I believe it will not work and you’ll need to update the domain as well as move the pro to the new app.
I won’t recommend this.

I would find a time where there probably least amount of people on the app to so maintenance

1 Like

Sorry forgot it was a post for Regulars.

Below are some of the practices that were mentioned:

• “I usually have an Admin panel hidden somewhere in my app which is password protected. I use this place for testing as well as to do any updates by admins having passwords. This is incase of Public apps. For any app which has public with email, I create a separate button which is visible only to my email for testing purposes. Inside this button, I usually have everything I want hidden from the users but available for me to refer.”

• “I always set its visibility to something like “TEST” or “DEV” and I have a email whitelist login on the app that has that as its authorization. This way when in glide i use that email to do dev work.”

• “I create a copy of the app, test whatever I’m going to add, and if it works, I implement it in the real, live app. Usually that’s not an issue, except with an app that has A LOT of users, things get tricky there.”

2 Likes

@ThinhDinh Thank you for the tips.

I think I did the first 2 points which worked somehow, however, its still tricky in some parts of the navigation especially if you will update in an existing tab not creating a new tab

The third point is not gonna work with High Data due to the limitation of the free version which will create a hassle as well

1 Like

Hi @Yasin_Hassanien,

Just though I would offer my 2 cents.

When I’m doing development, I have a single bit in my dev accounts user row and I use it as a flag for visibility.

Any new components, the moment I drop them into a page get visibility only when the users dev flag is true, since only my row has it, no one else can see any component or page with this.

I can also set existing components/pages I want to turn off to visible with the opposite configuration of a second dev cell hidden when dev2 is true, since no other user has dev2 set to true they still see everything.

Essentially my account can see new stuff and not see old stuff until its ready, then I just flip the 2 switches (aka fill in everyone else’s dev bits 1 and 2 and all the components swap visibility.

Then it’s just as simple and going through and deleting old components, and removing the visibility filter on new ones.

It is somewhat tedious, but I have found use in it when editing live pages. Also it allows me to see the final product in the live pages without affecting anyone else using the app.

Let me know if the above makes sense and works for you!

2 Likes