Loading Tab Assets In The Background

@david, @Mark

Wondering if it’s possible for you to load tab assets in the background during:

a.) A loading splash screen

b.) Other tabs load upon the apps initial opening at the home screen.

Not seeing the placeholder images or loading circles for some assets I feel would be a huge improvement.

As always, love the work you guys and gals are doing. Thanks!

1 Like

Would you mind sharing your app, please, so we can get a sense of how loading tabs feels?

Sorry for the delayed response Mark.

Here’s my app:
https://hashgraph.glideapp.io

I’ve noticed that the little loading circles initially populate upon first opening the app, only for a second, for either inline lists or pictures, after which they no longer appear for that specific tab, every subsequent tab that has these kinds of items displays the little loading circles briefly upon opening that tab for the first time.

It would be awesome to just do away with them altogether.

I’ve never seen an app I’ve tested or built myself that has the circles display for more than a second, so I really don’t see the point in them tbh. The really detracts from otherwise stellar and premium feel of a glide app.

Anyway hopefully it’s something that can be easily changed or given an option to display or not.

Would love to hear your thoughts Mark.

Cheers!

In addition, the only thing I’ve come across in glide that does not show the circles is the plain list item for a tab. Strange then that the same list, if used as an inline list, then does display loading circles.

Anyway if you could fix this I’d be over the moon.

Thanks again!

I can’t reproduce this, apart from the progress indicator on the first tab right after loading. Would you mind posting a video of what you’re seeing?

I beleive this is what I’m referring to?

Is there any way to hide these small loading circles? I really do not see their purpose as the assets load only a second after them. I have stress tested this and even with dozens or hundreds of assets they still load in this time. It would be great if we could hide these loading circles. They happen on every page that loads for the first time.

Loading the home screen assets in the background behind the splash screen could work to solve this as well. Subsequently, you could load all the other tabs assets in the background once the home screen assets are loaded, in a sequential order.

@JWhiteside you must have a super fast connection or very little data because the loading circles I see can persist for some time before the screen appears. I would guess that depending on many factors, the loading time could be significantly different from one device to another. Is it really that big a deal to see them for the fraction of a second you say you see them? For those with no so great connections or possible other reasons (memory, speed of processor, etc.) seeing them helps to prevent them from thinking the application has locked up.

I totally get what you are saying with respect to letting a user know the application is still loading. However, what amount of time above which would you feel necessitates having the loading circle(s)? How long are you seeing these circles load? Secondly, the circles as they presently are constituated are just not visually pleasing to look at. Every asset that requires being loaded has its own circle rather than a single tab having a loading circle and the circles aren’t even center justified to the screen. You could argue I’m splitting hairs here, but I don’t feel that’s the case. These little details really matter on a subconscious level to users and if this is something that can be easily ironed out then I feel obliged to bring it up and get it dealt with ASAP not only for my app use case but for every other app that follows on the glide platform that could benefit from a more polished and refined feel IMHO.

To each his own, not a big deal for me. I sometimes see them for 5 seconds sometimes more.

Interesting. When you get the long wait times what kind of network are you on? And what kind of assets are you loading? I have been using Google’s Squooosh to compress image files prior to storing then on drive.