Image loading circle / Image box placeholders

@david, @mark, @jack, Is there any way for you to turn off the loading circles and image placeholders that load just before the actual assets do?

I understand the concept of alerting users to wait for something that’s loading however I feel it really detracts from the experience seeing those loading icons given how fast the platform already loads.

If there is no way to turn them off or give creators the option to then could you hide the app behind the initial app load screen until the load on the images (if you have any) on the first page is complete?

Think it would be a big improvement!

Would love to hear your thoughts on the topic.

An option to turn them off would be ok, but just an FYI that when you have 6 months of calendar data that amounts to about 400 rows it does take a bit of time for it to load when first opening the app. So in my app I do like to see it for the 3 or 6 seconds it can take. I have however seen it spinning for a lot longer. Long enough for me to get impatient and just kill the app and reload it. It usually happens if I had the app open and then switched away from it for an extended period of time. When I bring it back to the forefront it seems to hang on that calendar page. I will say I probably have never waited more that about 30 seconds before I gave up and just reloaded it. Android phone BTW.

Fair enough. I just think it’s very ugly looking tbh and doesn’t fit with the polished nature of the rest of the platform. They should also consider upgrading the loading assets if they can’t a. Give the option to remove them or b. allow for the initial splash screen to hide them until they are fully loaded.

I don’t think it’s that ugly, but I understand how someone would. I would hope that the underlying code would page load and not load the entire list. I suspect however that that may not be the case. I have run through complete tutorials with both React Native and Flutter which are two popular native mobile app development tools. I do remember a lesson, I think it may have been Flutter (a Google product) that had built in pagination in the control. The list widget was smart enough to figure out how much data would fit on a few screens, pull it out of the database and display it. It was lighting fast even if the database was huge, because it was only pulling in a small chunk of data. In the background, when the app was idle, it would load more in some kind of cache, and paging through a long list was pretty damn fast.

1 Like

I just want to add my two cents here about the loading/splash screen. On mobile, I’m not getting the intended background on load. On desktop, while the app is loading assets we get the nice solid theme color filling the screen with our logo. However, on both iOS 13.1.2 and Android 8.0 mobile, I don’t get the theme-colored background and logo. Instead, I get about 6 sec of white without any indicators and then a couple seconds of the loading circles before the assets load. See video clips below illustrating the issue:

View issue on iOS

View issue on Android

Ideally, it would be awesome to have the theme color and logo display across both desktop and mobile and just have a single loading icon that spins near the bottom to indicate to the user that assets are loading. I would love to hear what others are experiencing and what they think? Thx

I experience the blank white screen and then loading circles intermittently as well. I’m on Android. If I completely close the app by swiping away and re-opening it usually solves the problem but it does happen more often then I would like.

What are your thoughts on just keeping the splash screen up until all assets are loaded in the background; never seeing a loading indicator.

Or having a much better loading indicator asset that there is only one of and is justified dead center of the screen.

For the extra second that they are on the screen I dont see any point for those loading circles.

Thanks @gannonatwork and @JWhiteside. I will pass this feedback on. Makes sense.

1 Like

Thanks Jack!

1 Like

@JackVaughan @JWhiteside
I was envisioning something like this. A clean, simple design that uses brand colors and icon but clearly indicates the app is loading.

2 Likes

Looks awesome! Should we still have the app name at the bottom?

Thanks for suggestion @gannonatwork, have passed this on to design.

@JackVaughan
Jack, I know you guys are working a mile a minute, but any word back from the design team re: the possibility of deploying some sort of load screen like we talked about earlier? We’re set to launch our app at the end of the year and it would be great to include an improved loading screen. :wink: Thx!

@JWhiteside
FYI, I added in the app name like you suggested and also have the loading icon and text matching the status bar color.

@gannonatwork Awesome! Wondering if it makes sense to keep the text the way it is at the bottom though. Currently all major web apps look like this. Twitter, Triviago, etc. Continuity is king. Thoughts?

Gannon, totally understand. I’ll message everyone now about it and see if I can get a response to you later today. Thanks again for the input.

@JackVaughan
That would awesome; I appreciate it. Thx

I like the change of the loading indicator color to be congruent with the rest of the coloring of the load screen. Nice attention to detail.

@JWhiteside
Sorry I didn’t get back to you yesterday…busy day. I’m not sure I understand what you mean by keep the text the way it is at the bottom—when Glide apps open up in a browser with the load screen there isn’t any text at the bottom? When launching Twitter for example, the only things that displays for about a second is the TW logo, no text.

I’m thinking more for mobile sorry. When you open any given web app I have ever seen on a phone it shows the apps title at the bottom of the screen in some generic text in addition to the logo. Whereas you have augmented the text on the load screen to be just under the logo, a different font then normally shows up with the web apps and bold font as opposed to regular.

@gannonatwork we have suggested this a couple of times at our planning sessions but unfortunately it hasn’t yet made it. I mentioned it to everyone just now and we are keen to do it. I just can’t say when.