Knowing when to use Source Sheet data vs "User Profile"

Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone can explain how to know when we are to use the User Profile data to assign data to a component and when we use the drop down that is connected to the source sheet for the page when they are both pulling from the User Profile sheet. I am not sure about the exact language, but I hope you understand my question.

I was having a problem understanding why some components were only showing one user’s data, even when looking through different user accounts. It was only when I used the dropdown from the source page that it worked. Still there are other times when it seems that components only seem to work properly when the User Profile data is used… I just don’t understand when whatever works.

Right now, when I am trying to figure out why visibility or data is not showing properly, I am just switching back and forth until one or the other works.

I literally just figured out why the User Profile is available on the different screens… (in my words) it is so that different source sheets can be used but the User Profile data can still be accessed. I only figured that out after continually deleting pages and recreating them several times after changing source sheets and seeing the User Profile info was still available… and I say RECREATING because I did not know that I could simply copy an entire screen and paste it by using right click features. NO WONDER y’all love GLIDE so much. Is there anywhere that all of this user friendly information resides?

Back to my question… Can anyone explain the difference and when the different data from the User sheet is used? I can see that often the dropdown will have the user’s specific data, I just don’t know when to use it without trial and error.

Thanks in advance.

If you use column values from the User Profile, you’ll get the data from the row associated with the currently signed in user.

If you use the sheet column values, you’ll get data from whichever row you are attached to. Which may or may not be the row associated with the signed in user.

So the answer is it depends on what you want. It could be either. The important thing is to understand the difference.

2 Likes

Hmmm… okay. I see the difference in your writing, but I cannot see the difference practically in application. Can you offer an example where one would be more useful over another?

Typically, you won’t display user profile columns in components…they’re usually used for filtering/visibility conditions or backend logic.

However, here’s one of a million examples:

I’m an avid reader signing into a gamified publication app. If I click into the details of a recent post, I’d expect to see the information related to the post (not user profile columns). However, if I wanted to have a banner at the top of every post with the number of “download credits” I have in my balance, I’d display the value from a “downloads remaining” user profile column. This value will be unique to the signed in user.

3 Likes

Okay… okay… okay… I think I get it. I think that makes sense as to why sometimes it is available and sometimes not… especially with visibility and filtering. I will offer more attention to those differences when both are presented.

THANK YOU!:pray:t5:

1 Like

One more question… Is there any place where all of this information is documented? I watch videos and try to research before I come in here to ask questions. Is there anything like a “user’s manual” for GLIDE where these types of details may be stored. I always see the general information, but not this type… unless I am overlooking it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.