Internal cross-referencing within glossary app - is this possible?

Hello! :wave:

I am building a glossary app - a list of terms, defintions, acronyms, etc - and have come across a challenge I can’t wrestle to the ground. I’ve searched other apps and the community but to no avail, hence this post…

At its most simple, the glossary is a table with

Column A    |  Column B 
----------------------------------------------------------
Term (text) |  Detailed definition (rich text)`
Term 1      |  Definition 1....
Term 2      |  Definition 2....

etc.

What I’d like to do is have the ability to cross-reference from one term to other related terms - for example, on the details screen (not the list) I’d like to be able to have a section below the defintion which says “See also” thus:

Term 1
Definition of term 1 in rich text

See also:

• Term 10
  • Term 13
  • Term 35

This feels slightly circular - I’m referencing an element within the same table, which I need to be able to add (in a column… in a separate table… right?) and add more than one of these. I could place a limit on them (say a maximum of 5 cross-references), but is there an extensible, elegant way of doing this?

Thanks for reading, I’m happy to take direction and learn the right way of doing things, but I want to make sure I’m starting off on the right path. Any pointers welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Should be pretty simple. I would add a column to hold a comma delimited list of similar terms. Then in glide, create a split column to split that delimited list into an array. Then create a multiple relation column to link the array of terms to the term column in the same sheet. Then all you need to do in add an inline list to the details screen that is sourced from the relation column. No need for a separate table.

3 Likes

Agreed with @Jeff_Hager. Also the new multiple select for the choice component should make this much easier to do.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.