In GlideApps, how to get last entry replicated?

Hi Gliders,
Sorry, if the topic heading is a bit strange, but I did not know how else to describe it.
To make it (hopefully) a bit clear, I had made some screenshots.

This is part of a Google Sheet in Glide that is working fine.
This is how it looks now.
As soon as the cell AnsweredDate has a new entry, you can see the last date in Last Answered Date.
I used a Rollup with last date.
What I would like to do or would like to have is, that in LastAnsweredName, the name will show of the last placed name in AnsweredName.

This is the sample of what I would like that it looks;

When a new name is placed in AnsweredName, then it will replace the name in LastNameAnswered.
Like this;

I have strong doubts that if what I would like to achieve is even possible.
If it is possible, please try to explain it to me in simple steps :slight_smile:
I am still learning things.

The reason why I would like to have it like this is because I want to use those cells as a trigger and action for pipedream.
I want to check if 1 cell is updated. That will be the Last Answered Date.
This part is no problem.
But after that, I want to send an email notification and use the LastAnsweredName in that email.

Or maybe you have other ideas on how to do this.

Thank you in advance for your help and time.

EDIT: This approach does not account for empty rows, so the approach will not work well. See below for a better solution.

I hesitate to answer because I’m not in front of a computer and I usually prefer double-checking my answers. So please test this answer and I’ll edit if need be.

I would try to set the column “LastAnsweredName” to a “Single value” column. You might not be able to change the type of your current column which is a “Text” type, you might have to create a new single value column.

Then in the settings of this single value column, select “AnsweredName” as the column and “Last” as the element.

(If the approach above returns something empty, you might have to create a “Lookup” column of the “AnsweredName” column first, and I would need to double-check, this is just an idea.)

Thanks for your quick answer.
I will check it tomorrow, its very late already on this side :slightly_smiling_face:
Again, thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

An approach that should work:

This image sums it up I think, this is what your columns might look like:

Another approach:

• Create the array of elements
  • Reverse the array: your last element becomes the first with index 0
  • Slice the array between 0 and 1 (start at 0 to include index 0, end at 1 to exclude indexes beyond 1)
  • Turn the single array element returned into text (joined list column)

2 Likes

I think perhaps a simpler approach would be to use the Last Answered Date to create a Single Relation to his AnsweredDate column, and then use a Lookup column to fetch the associated name.

This should work fine, even if the display format of the rollup is different from the AnsweredDate. If there are missing rows, they’ll just be ignored.

@Pierre_de_Man - in your Last Answered Date rollup, are you using “Last” or “Latest”? Important to understand there is a difference. Last is just the last row in the table, where Latest will be the the latest date - which might not always be the last row.

3 Likes

@Darren_Murphy,
Sorry for the confusion.
I want the latest date that was put in any random field/cell :slight_smile:
This is also what I want for the latest name, and not the last name in the column.

@nathanaelb, Thanks for all the effort.
But I am sorry for the confusion. Darren Murphy had a valid question.
I am looking for the latest name and not the last name in the column.
I tried your first option, and this gave an array with the names in order of the row they were entered.
But I am looking for the latest name that was entered in the column. No matter in which row they were entered.

Okay, so the method I described will work for that.

• rollup, taking latest date
  • single relation, matching latest date to all dates
  • lookup through the relation to fetch the name
2 Likes

I did it like this;

And if I place a new latest date, I get the correct name behind it.
If I do a date that was before that, it was not changed, and that is good.
Only when I enter a new later date, do I get the correct name again :slight_smile:
Thanks

I still need to work on my relations. As I mentioned in a different question I had, I understand the concept, but I am having problems realizing it.
I saw a video from Robert Petitto about relations and it made sense. But again, to realize it now, no idea why it doesn’t go in with me.
Maybe I need to experiment more. :slight_smile:

Bob gives a pretty good explanation of relations in the below post - maybe that will help?

And yes, experimenting is good. the more you use it, the more comfortable you will get with it :slight_smile:

1 Like