Import or Copy/Paste CSV file/data through Glide App by users

Hello glide community,
How a user can copy/paste CSV file/data inside a form in my app ? and how my app can automatically create/generate a list with those data ?

Basically I want a user to be able to create a Group in my app then import a list of participant inside this group he created. Currently my users need to add manually each member one by one in the group with Name, First Name, Gender, Email. FYI, each group usually has 20 to 50 members so it its pretty long to do it manually…

Ideally I would love my users to be able to import data separated by comma with a copy paste AND automatically add those data to the group created.

Thank you for your help

1 Like

Great use case. I believe you can let them upload a file via a file picker, then use Zapier to read the CSV and append the data to your participants sheet.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. So particially found a solution with your help by creating a picker button and a column to host the file uploaded by a user.

I created with Zapier a Zap connecting GLIPAPPS to FORMATTER (import and transform csv file ) to SPREADSHEET (Create multiple rows) but I don’t know how to find a way for the Zap to find automatically the link to https://storage.googleapis.com/glide-prod.appspot.com/upload /xxxxxxxxxxx where all csv upload will be put by the Picker function.

So my Zap is working but I need to put myself the link (to the glidestorage) inside the zap…so it is not very efficient :slight_smile: because it means that every time a user import a csv file I’d need manually to find the link to the storage and add it inside the Zap so yes it is crazy

Any idea and help is welcome …and as it is a multi step zap it cannot be managed under a free account so I potentially need to pay for this multi step action . As it is for my students I won’t move to this direction because it is too expensive for in class use. Any free solution is also welcome to fix this mass import inside a glide app.

2 Likes

Hi @Joseph_Leblanc, I have the same use case.
Did you find a solution ?
Cheers

Hi,

Unfortunately I didn’t. The Zapier solution is too complicated and not seamless. So currently I asked my user to copy/past their data directly inside the google sheet or I do it on my own or I create a form to add information individually .
I hope it will be a coming soon in glide.

Sorry, good luck and feel free to share any solution you ll find

I think this article can help you: https://yagisanatode.com/2020/06/13/google-apps-script-extract-specific-data-from-a-pdf-and-insert-it-into-a-google-sheet/

1 Like

Hi, I wonder if there is something to imagine in glidePage with the component “Data Grid”, at minimum to ease the copy-paste…

Best

I imagine you want your users to be able to paste in the data grid for new rows? I don’t think it’s designed for that as of now.

If I want to import huge number of rows, I let users upload a CSV, send that link to Make and parse that, then batch HTTP calls to write those to my Glide Table.

1 Like

Thanks @ThinhDinh

1 Like

What exactly is a batch HTTP call? I’m looking to write to Glide table in bulk from Make. Do you have an example?

Use an Iterator to create an array of mutations, and then pass those as part of the JSON payload with the HTTP API call. It’s generally recommended to do them in batches of up to 100 mutations at a time.

2 Likes

Gotcha. When I used to use zapier (not with glide api) you could add 100 rows with one update. With the glide API it’s row by row and consumes many updates :smiling_face_with_tear:

Tell me about it. I was doing some load testing with the API a while back, and blew through about 150k updates in a couple of days :rofl:

2 Likes

1 Like