I spy a floating button in staging šŸ‘€

Same! I was for staging all morning, and they shipped this in the afternoon!

Floating action button is going to look good with this reversed-card layout! #css

4 Likes

It will be a thing of beauty.

Beauty aside - I am hoping to use as a admin button on an app, so only admins see it and once selected it takes them to an admin area where they can ā€˜administerā€™ stuff. Not played with it yet so not sure whether this is possible.

6 Likes

Such a good idea!

2 Likes

I often have ideas (some good, some not) but cannot always implement natively within glide but this I am hoping will be a winner.

Each app ā€˜roleā€™ will see certain buttons which will provide them with specific abilities and access to the areas of the app. Fingers crossed I can get this to work. :crossed_fingers:

Iā€™ve really gotten accustomed to my semi-transparent blurred backdrop floating buttons. Iā€™d love to see that as native option to make it a little easier to see items behind the floating buttons. But I am excited to have access to all of the icons instead of being tied to emojis.

4 Likes

The floating button is perfect for annoying your users to sign up! Itā€™ll cover the thing theyā€™re seeing, and that will annoy them, which will make them sign up!

Arenā€™t I a genius :stuck_out_tongue:

Now we just have to wait for floating images and floating textā€¦

Lol yes! But be careful about ux design and user experience, not being annoying to use your app

5 Likes

Iā€™m so stoked for this Component!

But like @Lucas_Pires mentioned - UX design and experience is very important - and this button is definitely a positive addition for Gliders looking to build some amazing apps!

It has (like the current Button) so many possibilities to enhance Glide apps, but in a more user AND design-friendly way. Paired with Conditional Visibility and ITEā€™s there could be some pretty cool apps built! I already see the gears in some peoples heads turning (and grinding thinking about how much stuff theyā€™ll want to re-design haha).

Any chance the Glide gods (@david, @Mark) could bestow upon us a possible release date for such an amazing Components update? :pray: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

(If not, no worries - because we all know itā€™s worth the wait!)

This, and the new potential of an eventual Glide API, is the definition of ā€œChristmas came early!ā€. :nerd_face: :christmas_tree:

3 Likes

Iā€™m hoping itā€™s this week because it would fit in perfectly in an app Iā€™m building for a client. My deadline for this app is end of week / beginning of next week. I imagine it wonā€™t be long!

4 Likes

Ahh I really wanna use this component but I already have a form for another add button, and I will lose all the layout the form has. Thereā€™s no way to export the layout of a form to another form, is there? :sob:

You shouldnā€™t lose the layout. You are just changing the button style. Not creating a new button.

1 Like

I think I would. I had a floating button in the form of rich text, and now adding another component will make me remake the entire form againā€¦ Right?

The thing is, I am creating a new button.

The CSS form button we have done before is still acting on a regular button. Once this update is released, you should be able to remove the rich text with the CSS, which will change the old CSS floating button to a regular button. Then change the style of that button to the new floating style. Itā€™s no different than changing the background color on buttons from semi opaque to clear.

4 Likes

Hereā€™s a great article on floating button UX best practices:

https://uxplanet.org/floating-action-button-in-ux-design-7dd06e49144e

6 Likes

I canā€™t wait to work on it, way easier!

1 Like

Ah, great idea!

1 Like

Ohhā€¦ Is it not possible to stack floating buttons horizontally? :neutral_face: :pensive:

Just saw Floating button is in my production environmentā€¦ seems to be good to go!

5 Likes