How to Lower Usage/Updates?

So I have been using Glide for years, and have a personal app I use for my own life, using it as a tool for learning, personal development, & self-mastery.

Over time, because of the amount of rows I use and updates I had to update my plan.

Currently I’m on the Legacy Pro Plan ($99) and as of the 18th of the month I hit the 10,000 update limit, and I’d like to optimize my app more so that I use less row updates and can stay on or below the $99 plan instead of it almost doubling because of paying for additional per-updates.

I messaged glide support but haven’t heard back,

Is there any way I can have someone look over my app and give suggestions on how to lower the usage amount?

For example, I purchased a flashcards template from a user on here and set it up implemented in my app, but it seems every time I even flip a card that it counts as an update,

I would GREATLY appreciate any help!

Thank you!

For your scenario, I would suggest moving to the Maker plan and using Glide Tables instead of Google Sheets. On the new (non-Legacy) plans, adds/edits/deletes to Glide Tables made within the app are not counted as updates, so your updates would drop from 10,000 to ~100 (only Glide AI would count from your screenshot).

It is currently tricky to change a Google Sheet to a Glide Table… Perhaps you could wait until we make it easier to migrate, but today you would basically have to rebuild your app.

6 Likes

ETA? First I have heard it is in the works…

Thank you for your suggestion - So If I were to move over to Glide Tables, could I still have it 2-way sync with Google Sheets? Because I use 1 Master Google-Sheet for all the data in my life, and the ability to have it sync 2-way to Glide is awesome!

Is there a way to utilize Glide Tables as well as Google Sheets simultaneously?

Also, in the interim, could I get some 1 on 1 support help from Glide on how to cut down my updates ?

I appreciate your help!

No, but you can hire an expert: Hire Glide experts, developers, designers and freelancers online

2 Likes

If you are still connecting your app to a Google sheet, especially for a two way sync, you are going to be using updates in some capacity. If some of your data doesn’t need to live in a google sheet, you can use both Glide tables and Google sheets in the same app which could help reduce updates.

3 Likes

Thank You! I’ve done some calculations and there is a good amount of data I can switch to keep on Glide Tables,

1. How would I go about having glide tables as well as google sheets? Is it as simple as creating a new Glide table then linking components?

2. With the New Glide API, would It be possible to have 2-way sync using Google Apps Script? Basically If I finish out a row, then it sends an action that adds a new row in google sheets, and fills in data column by column that I specify?

The reason I ask is because I have some dynamic data being shared across google sheets, and some of the data is imported INTO google sheets from other 3rd party providers using Google Sheets App Scripts - meaning I somewhat need both Google Sheets & Glide simultaneously.

Thank you for taking the time to help!

Yep, it’s that simple. Just add the tables to your app in the builder. You can have a variety of different data sources in the same app.

You can use a combination of the Glide API or the Call API to move data back and forth. You can also use a third party such as Make. But it’s still going to use up some updates to move that data back and forth. At that point, is it any more efficient than simply updating the Google sheet data directly from the app? I guess it all depends on what you are doing. Just feels like a lot of overhead to use the APIs, scripting, or third party services (which all will still use some updates) when that’s already built into glide when the google sheet is part of the project. I guess it all comes down to how often you would want to be synchronizing that data using API’S vs how how it would happen directly from the app.

1 Like

Great point, yeah I was thinking of using the Glide API if it would drastically cut down on the monthly update amounts.

So I noticed Update Row is what is taking up most of the updates,
If for example I have a page where there would be 100+ updates (text entries, number entries, checkboxes) could I instead fully have all those text entries etc. linked to a glide table, then have an action that would add a row in another sheet (google sheets) that updates the 100+ columns on that single row , would that then only count as 1 update instead of the 100+ separate updates?

Also, I’m on the Legacy Pro plan , does that mean glide table updates still count towards the total monthly update number?

Yes. To take advantage of the free updates in Glide tables, you would need to upgrade to a new plan. Just make sure you fully understand the differences between legacy plans and New plans.

Correct, under the new plans, that would only be one update and could work. I will ask this though… Are you just updating column values in real time on a detail screen? If so, that would explain the huge number of updates. Is their any particular reason why you wouldn’t be using an Add or Edit form which only commit updates once you click on the submit button?

Me too!
I know it’s not easy to do commit to ETAs, but are we talking weeks or months?

Thank you for your detailed responses and answering my questions.

Yes each value is being updated on 1 big detail screen with custom sections, because I use buttons on the titles to allow showing/hiding of sections, and sometimes I’ll go back and forth between sections, but I appreciate your advice. Looks like I’ll need to transfer some things to glide tables.

1 Like

Without knowing more about your use case, you might be able to use the summary tag to show/hide things as needed, though I still think you would need to migrate things to Glide Tables.

2 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion!

1 Like