How to implement ⭐ ratings - Demo [Update: Glide released this as a native component.]

In response to the topic linked below and other request for how to include some kind of rating system within a Glide app I wrote this Ratings Demo App. I seem to remember someone else implementing it but I couldn’t find it, so here is my take on how to do it. It’s copyable so you can take a look at the spreadsheet and the Glide components. It’s a little more work than I thought because you have to come up with an average of all ratings for a given item, but the magic of Google Sheets came through with its very versatile QUERY function. Enjoy!

11 Likes

George, I give you 5 :star: for this demo! :+1:t2:

3 Likes

That some nice work George! I’ll be using that to learn more about QUERY, LEN and ARRAY formulas it seems. :slight_smile:

1 Like

George, this has been SUPER helpful! Thank you! I also wasn’t aware of the QUERY or ARRAY functions.

1 Like

Could you please add several ratings in order to rate several different topics? Thanks

Welcome to the community.

Just duplicate the demo sheets that I have and give it a try yourself. It shouldn’t be too hard to clone the concept.

[quote=“George_B, post:1, topic:2371, full:true”]
In response to the topic linked below and other request for how to include some kind of rating system within a Glide app I wrote this Ratings Demo App. I seem to remember someone else implementing it but I couldn’t find it, so here is my take on how to do it. It’s copyable so you can take a look at the spreadsheet and the Glide components. It’s a little more work than I thought because you have to come up with an average of all ratings for a given item, but the magic of Google Sheets came through with its very versatile QUERY function. Enjoy!

[/quote]

I’m looking to do something like on this screen shot

Hello George, coul you give one more clue about how to make this think happen?

I don’t have any more clues than what I provided. It’s a working app, set up to be a template, that you can make a copy of. Open the spreadsheet and take a look at the formulas.

Great template, thanks! I’m really enjoying learning to use Glide!

Here’s a proper math framework for star rankings:
http://www.evanmiller.org/ranking-items-with-star-ratings.html

Interesting article. Reading the first paragraph made sense for sure.

“The main problem addressed here is what to do with items that have a small number of ratings, since an item with a single perfect rating probably should not sit atop a list of top-rated items. Unlike my previous Bayesian work, the method here is not exact, but it should work pretty well in most cases, and has the virtue of being (relatively) easy to compute.”

After that I was lost! Here is the easy to compute formula:

2 Likes

Geoege,

How would I create this rating system when someone is viewing a listing?

Hi, I’m looking for a way for individuals to rate a place (like restaurants or hotels) and then aggregating the rating so that in the end the total rating might be 4.5/5.0 or similar. How to do this?

You can see the video here.

2 Likes