How to enter multiple values in one field

I’m building an app to track costs per customer. It tracks hours spent and expenses incurred per customer. Each customer has a Customer Code. My employees often travel to more than one customer site in a single trip. For this reason, I need to be able to track multiple Company Codes per Trip. I have both a Trip Sheet and Accounts Sheet in my Google Sheets file.

Per Trip, I need to be able to capture and display multiple Customer Codes. When a detail view of a trip is opened, I need to be able to display the multiple Customer Codes involved on the Trip. What is the best way to do that?

The easiest might be just a notes component and the user can type in multiple values.

In my opinion, the better way would be to have a form button inside your trip details. The user will open the form, enter the customer code, and submit it to a third sheet that contains a Trip ID and the Customer Code. Then you can set up a relation in the Trip sheet to link the Trip ID to the Trip ID in the new Trip ID/Customer Code form response sheet. That way you can display all of the customer codes as an inline list inside the trip details page.

Thank you sir. I will try that approach.

1 Like

That did it! Thanks for the help.

1 Like

OK. To extend thinking, can you pass the customer code to the form … i.e. not have to key it?

e.g. Add a notes table in a CRM record (another tab) that auto adds the customer id as a table column value so notes can be filtered to just show that customer’s notes.

Yes, you can do that. Exactly how you do it depends on your starting point. For example if you’re viewing a client detail screen, then you should be able to open a form from there and pass the client ID as a column value with the form submission.

If you’re in some other context, you may need to add a choice component to your form and ask the user to select from a list of clients.

Darren

I tried that. But On Sumit Set Column Value doesn’t solve the issue of passing the Client ID to the Form.

Only values available are User Profile, Custom, or current Sheet values.

Notes go in the Notes Sheet. The Client ID is in the Clients Sheet and the Notes Form has to open from the Clients Edit Screen

How do I get the Client Id from the current Clients record?

I didn’t say onSubmit, I said a column value that gets passed with the form.

But as I also said, that will only work if your starting point is the client details screen. What is your starting point?

1 Like

Need to be able to do it from both Client Details and Edit screen. When I add Form button and set as Show form screen there is no option to set column values for the form, Notes columns, only for the Client columns,

Where do you set " a column value that gets passed with the form"?

When you have the form open, look for the “Values from Screen” group in the components:

You should be able to use any column value from the table that’s attached to the screen where you launched the form from.

1 Like

OK. Got it. Thanks Darren