How to avoid the developer from viewing other accounts using the "View As"?

Hi guys!

The option for “view as” looks very unsecure in my opinion.
Maybe I understood it wrongly.
Does that relate to the meaning of private vs. public users?

At the moment, if my friends open an account, I can see their account, and even comment under their name (that’s the functionality, of course, for the different testing I guess). I see data protection violations here.

Can you help me to understand how I can prevent the developer/editor of the app from viewing and using all the other accounts?

I would really appreciate your help :slight_smile:
Thanks in advance!

Picture1

I don’t believe there is a way to prevent an app editor from viewing the app as another user, but this seems like a good case for having an NDA written up and signed by anybody that edits the app.

5 Likes

In the database world, there are standard NDA’s, background checks, security screenings and other things that are designed exactly because of situations like this. You cannot have a DBA that does not have full access to the data. If you cannot trust someone with the data, there are other problems. In jobs I have had, I’ve had to go through background checks and pass other types of security screens. I’ve had access to databases with 70,000+ credit cards, etc. It’s part of the job.

That said, when prototyping an app and building new features, it’s customary to point at a design-time database so it does not matter if data is manipulated in non-standard ways to test concepts.

WIth Glide, that means a lot of extra work, because you cannot simply change the pointer to a new database when going “live”.

5 Likes

Actually, you can - sort of. With the replace Data Source option. But I get your point, it’s not the same.

2 Likes

Thank you so much guys!
You saved me tons of time of trial & error

It definitely motivated me to post more questions here, after I received the quick feedback :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You should only give editor access to people you trust. When you have edit access, you can access all of the app’s data.

1 Like

Thanks a lot David!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.