Has Glide gotten too complex and less beginner friendly?

I am an advanced beginner :wink:

2 Likes

Btw I’m not criticizing any other Glide user. This is a brilliant forum where people help each other and of course, everyone looks at things from his or her own perspective!

4 Likes

First, thank you @Luther and @Darren_Murphy for your kind words. You both have also contributed much to the community and selflessly give your time and energy to making Glide understandable and accessible.

I agree with the quoted passage above. Glide can seem overly complex to beginners when they run into a situation where they need to create 4-5 column combinations (usually conditional relations) in order to achieve the functionality they want. Likewise, it can seem complicated when beginners are forced to use CSS to achieve what they want visually. As I mentioned in the last post, Glide should take a step back this 2022 and focus on improving the components they already have—offering more ways to natively style the UI.

I believe this was the intention of @Jason’s thread here:

What I do know is that Glide is looking to improve their education efforts this year as well as aim to make the UI more flexible and consistent across apps/pages (eg. In Glide Pages there is no details vs list view … a duality that confuses a lot of beginners in Glide Apps).

All in all, I still think Glide is easy for beginners, but I can understand @erwblo when he suggests that the learning curve is a bit steeper now than where Glide was a few years ago.

8 Likes

Yes.
Everyone wants powerful. But they want simple power, not complex power.

Glide can solve this by building more powerful COMPONENTS and improving existing COMPONENTS. Focusing less on DATA EDITOR functionality.

The more the Glider enters the data editor, the more likely they are to get confused.

Prime Example:
Glide is a database. Yet there’s no search COMPONENT. There’s no filter COMPONENT.

The entire point of displaying data is to search and filter it!

Hack Around
So now if a user wants customize a powerful search or filter function, they need to learn how to hack a workaround. Sending them down a forum search wormhole, requiring learning of single value columns, user specific columns, IfThenElse, rollups, multiple inline lists, template columns, etc.

It took me a month to learn this hack.

HOW GLIDE CAN FIX
Add a simple drag/drop SEARCH COMPONENT for search. Add a FILTER COMPONENT for filters. This component would simply link to an INLINE LIST COMPONENT on the same page. No data editor required.

For Search, common search functionality would be built straight into the COMPONENT (column to search, show # results text, search exact match vs match multiple words, and of course an in box CLEAR SEARCH “X”). Most of all it would be engineered properly, so it wouldn’t lag when you throw larger lists at it. Similar for a FILTER COMPONENT.

Conclusion
Focus on COMPONENTS and reduce the need to use the DATA EDITOR.

Virgin users will show you what’s complex, because they haven’t learned all the workarounds like experts. Education isn’t the answer here, UX is.

Analogy
Remember, an iPhone user doesn’t need to know how to solder a circuit board to use an iPhone.

It’s not Apple’s job to teach users how to solder circuit boards, it’s Apples job to simplify the iPhone so everyone (even us dummies) can understand it.

6 Likes

Good points!
Also: glide should have different workflow: (eg think of choice component)

1. add component to screen; 2, from there add required columns to full define component;

instead of

1. define columns in order to 2. fully define component

Btw: There is in-app filter but not as powerful and flexible as workarounds

2 Likes

Interesting concept! So when you go to select a column, perhaps there’s an “Add New” option similar to how we can now do this:

@jason @tristan

4 Likes

My perspective - I have been using glide for a bit over a year, so am not a beginner. But certainly not advanced, either - I guess I would be an “intermediate” user.

I LOVE the logic puzzle that I get to solve when building a new app - it’s like a game to me. When I started, I found this forum the perfect place to learn and keep up with new features. The official documentation was lacking, but with the help of so many of you experts, I could either find or ask for an answer.

Fortunately Jack Vaughn has done an awesome job adding a ton of “how to” do specific actions. What I find missing in official support is just a bit more depth with examples and the “why” a feature might be used. Would like to see more short videos because scrubbing through a long video for something I knew that I saw 3 months ago can be very time intensive. (edit: adding time stamps would help)

And although this community used to be my “go-to” resource, with so many new users and updated features, it has become much harder and more time-consuming to find what I am looking for - I am wading through very basic questions or think I’ve found a related post only to have it be obsolete due to a new feature. I have seen more forum administration happening of late, and appreciate that.

This is not meant to be a complaint about Glide - I still love it and honestly would love for 1/2 of my income to be based on projects using glide, but I have become a bit overwhelmed with information overload lately, and am sharing with the hope this feedback helps.

I use Glide for several kinds of projects:

• I have created apps for a sales team to replace the traditional catalog + business card that used to be handed out in person (pre-covid). It is a great use of Glide and keeps the potential customer connected to the sales person’s contact info. These apps are free to the sales team, because when they make sales, I earn income. (These are “free” apps but I would love to be able to figure out how to put them all into one “pro” app and pay for it - easier for updating)
  • I have created a team management app that has only 4 users who can view team info that is updated weekly (via airtable->coupler.io->glide). This is a “basic” paid app
  • I am creating directories for some very specific niche markets - these are free to the users and I charge the advertisers. These are in development but will be “pro” apps at launch

I love building apps but have no desire to start any kind of agency making them for others, I prefer to find a need and then create an app to make the money myself, or to create a template and sell that. I love creating but don’t want to be anyone else’s support desk - I prefer my time freedom.

Thanks for listening to my two cents - there are so many business models that can creatively use Glide to enhance or improve a process or system and I appreciate the generous support from this community. KB

8 Likes

Just curious, how do you envision the search and filter to look like if you have multiple inline lists on the same details view? Do you have a visual example on how it would work?

1 Like

@ThinhDinh I think a multiple inlines are often used because a SEARCH or FILTER component doesn’t exist. But let me know an application, we can ponder it.

Here’s a sample Search Component configuration. Super easy. Filter is a bit more complex, but very doable. I just don’t have the brainpower right now.

2 Likes

It’s a good visual example and I like the things I see on the right-hand side configuration. Thanks for taking the time to make that image.

However, what if you have multiple inline lists sourced from different tables, sort of a Home tab? Is there a reason you don’t like the current search option for inline lists?

2 Likes

Here’s Filter. Hacked napkin sketch. You’ll get the idea @ThinhDinh.

Still not understanding the multiple inline list real world example. In both these ideas, the SEARCH or FILTER is an entirely separate COMPONENT. Just like a button component, or text component, etc. Drag and drop and away you go.

You could configure it to filter a single or multiple onpage inline lists. Can you screenshot a sample app maybe?

2 Likes

Here’s one “Home” tab example, I have more inline lists below.

I get that the search bar only appears at the top and sticks there instead of letting you drag it wherever you want, but at the moment that works for me.

1 Like

RE: Search. Yes, hidden at top, doesn’t count results. Functions good though. Fast

RE: Podz, Courses lists. Where would a user selectable filter go in this case? It seems the user has no input needed?

Maybe I come from too much of a Marketplace and Classifieds background, requiring simple user selectable filters.

We don’t need to beat this horse dead. Hopefully these ideas illustrate the builder centric focus I mentioned anyways. Good discussion regardless.

1 Like

I was talking only about the search function since I do not need the user to filter anything in that case.

I hate all these new feature releases because it means less workarounds :rofl:. I remember a time when a user specific column was alien to us regular Gliders (not Glide). Those who had joined prior to us had been pushing Glide for this feature. As beginner, when it was finally relesed, I was like what the hell, and how do I use it? Next, user profile (which I savaged), then actions (I did not hide my feeling by having a good go at Glide, in this very forum), then the new builder (I needed a run down the pub), then webhooks (that I thought was oversold as a feature release); then some 67 plugins (I cried until I realised their importance). Latest is Pages. I am loving it not because it is easy (which it is} but because of its visual appeal. I am grateful to my “ancestors” for having pushed Glide, when they did and for the reasons they did, because today life as a glide developer for me is so much easier and fun. I want the next generation of Gliders to build better and more complex apps/site than I or anyone ever could. I will always be grateful to all the names mentioned for getting us what they did.

I would ideally like to see this thread devoted to our beginner friends so Glide could learn and respond. Therefore, I am staying out of this thread.

Thank you.

12 Likes

This topic and discussion is a sign that the innovation just needs refocusing to rounding out concepts, workflows, and components. This is healthy and natural. The growing list of complex features like true search won’t stop. Product, design, and development will define new pricing and packaging models supported by new teams with slightly different goals and incentives. Having talked with David just once, I’m sure Glide is having these kinds of discussions. If you like analogies, think meiosis vs. mitosis.

For Beginners?
I’ve personally enjoyed learning and the journey. Glide has been a bridge for me to learn more advanced programming concepts. I’d classify myself as an advanced beginner now:-). I also think it’s much easier today for beginners to achieve more complex apps!

Keep it up Glide!

6 Likes

Great thread with some really interesting opinions.

I have both founded and grown tech companies in the past. Without a doubt you need innovation within your user base, the ones that really push the product, in order to make it easier for those joining the party later on. As @Wiz.Wazeer says he is “grateful for his ancestors”.

Failing to listen to (most of) these innovators is a mistake and luckily Glide are great at listening. That is why their product is the best it gets right now. Seriously. And they should be proud for that.

If I had one criticism it would be the need to revisit existing functionality from time to time in order to keep it current. That’s a discipline in itself when you’re growing, but also essential. So they have to balance internal genius with external innovation, whilst also keeping business as usual “current”, all with a small team.

I think they do a pretty good job :grinning:

8 Likes

A little example where I think Glide could make steps for beginners (and for all of us).
I have a sheet where I collect ideas for products or services. I make a one-pager for every idea in which I have columns like

• Header
  • Subheader
  • Description
  • Benefit 1
  • Benefit 2
  • Benefit 3
  • Review 1
  • Review 2
  • Review 3
  • FAQ 1
  • FAQ 2
  • FAQ 3
  • Call To Action

To me it feels logical to have this all in one sheet with a row per idea. All info per idea combined.

I thought, lets make my first Glide Page where I show all ideas in nice-looking one pagers and give people the option to add their own ideas / one-pagers via a dedicated form.

I was a little rusty so I thought: I have all data in a logical way in a spreadsheet, how hard can it be? In an hour I should have it done.

Hours later (and thanks to help from the community) I know again what I should have done. But that’s because I already know about relations and could refresh my rusty knowledge.

To get what I wanted, in the end I needed to do this:

• Split one sheet into 4 sheets (Onepagers / Benefits / Reviews / FAQs)
  • Make a lot of relations and lookups between all sheets.
  • Use collections to get the nice-looking rows of 3 with images I wanted.

Because I was rusty myself, it did raise the question: wouldn’t it be great if something like this could be done easier? For example: Glide understands Benefit 1 Benefit 2 and Benefit 3 is a collection, Review 1, Review 2 and Review 3 is a collection. So if I want to publish a collection I can choose one of the collections Glide recognizes in my row?

There must be all sorts of reasons why this isnt a good idea, but these are my 2 cents as an example that there is a lot to be won imho.

1 Like

I’m very much a Glide beginner, though I’ve done a good deal of amateur programming and in my day was an HCI researcher. I agree that there is good support for specifics, but a lack of slightly longer examples; at the start I found it very hard to get anywhere.

How could the Glide documentation fill this gap? Here’s one way. For my own use I produced a few little teaching things. Glide 101 describes the very basics. Glide 102 is called ‘make a new data table and compute a formula’ and shows how to make a book data table with columns for book title, weight, price, and number of pages, with a form for entering new books and a screen to display average weight, individual price per page fo each book, and a donut chart. Other little teaching things include a basic relations example, a demo of bar charts, etc. In each case I describe how to build the app from scratch. These are short documents with screen clips rather than videos: I can read MUCH faster than someone can talk, so I get impatient with videos, but that’s just my predilection.

Each of these little examples is a complete tiny app demonstrating one feature. My belief is that other beginners would find such things useful. As I said, I produced these entirely for my own use, but I can make them freely available as suggestions for similar teaching documents produced by people who actually know what they’re doing, unlike me.

I should end this by saying that I’ve enjoyed what I’ve seen of Glide: well done the company and the community.

6 Likes

I don’t think it’s too complex for beginners, as someone who’s gotten the grips of a lot of it in a couple of days with no techy experience. Though they’re really lacking on some good user guides. I guess there’s not many community posts either, like you get with Bubble, but that’s probably because Bubble is 100x more complicated.

With SEARCH, it seems that it doesn’t search inline lists with Relation fields. Is this correct or is there a workaround here?